cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal of users from ev server but still require access to those archived emails

burtos
Level 5

Within the next 6 months i will be needing to remove a large amount of users from the ev system, the removed users will need to access there archived emails but wont have access at all to the ev server. my questions are as follows

1. do i get users to unarchive all there emails from the vault so they are just normal unarchived emails and can be viewed without ev server access

2. PST there mailbox archive from within ev and than copy it to there laptop, a further question to this is will the PST emails be in an archived state or will they be archived and still would require the ev server to view or restore.

3. Im not sure but a possibility would be to have a 2nd seperate instance of a ev server and than transfer all the archived emails there (if can be done) there is a very small possibility of this happening though but would like to be considered as an option

3. Any other solution that may help.

Overall goal is for the removed users to be able to view all archived emails without the need to use the ev server

ev version is 9.0.2.1061

Windows server 2003 std

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Easiest way might be:

- Export their archive to PST

This is a normal PST file, full items in it (not the stub). Totally up to the user then what to do.

- Setup Vault Cache/Virtual Vault

Once synchronised they can have offline access with no problem ..  retrieval of items wouldn't need the EV server.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello burtos,

You have different options:

1. Disable mailboxes for archiving and allow access through Archive Explorer to the user's archive. Users will need to have access to the Enterprise Vault server. However, you said that eventually users will not have access to the Enterprise Vault server at all.

2. Export the archive to the user's mailbox. For this option, you need to verify if you have enough space in the Exchange servers to un-archive all the emails.

3. Export the archive to PST and, like you said, copy each PST to each user's computer/laptop. Then, they can open the PST to Outlook and have access to the archived emails. Since this is a regular PST, users will see their emails as normal.

For the second Enterprise Vault server, you can use 'Move Archive' to move all the archives from one server to another. Then, configure user access to the second EV server. In this case, you can follow option #1.

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Easiest way might be:

- Export their archive to PST

This is a normal PST file, full items in it (not the stub). Totally up to the user then what to do.

- Setup Vault Cache/Virtual Vault

Once synchronised they can have offline access with no problem ..  retrieval of items wouldn't need the EV server.

burtos
Level 5

So to clarify the pst file of archived emails, would be a pst file of full unarchived emails as they would be pre archived.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Sort of.

It's a copy of the items from the archive.

The items will still be in the archive (unless you choose the option to delete them as you export them)

The items are as they were before they were archived.

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello burtos,

You have different options:

1. Disable mailboxes for archiving and allow access through Archive Explorer to the user's archive. Users will need to have access to the Enterprise Vault server. However, you said that eventually users will not have access to the Enterprise Vault server at all.

2. Export the archive to the user's mailbox. For this option, you need to verify if you have enough space in the Exchange servers to un-archive all the emails.

3. Export the archive to PST and, like you said, copy each PST to each user's computer/laptop. Then, they can open the PST to Outlook and have access to the archived emails. Since this is a regular PST, users will see their emails as normal.

For the second Enterprise Vault server, you can use 'Move Archive' to move all the archives from one server to another. Then, configure user access to the second EV server. In this case, you can follow option #1.

I hope this helps.

burtos
Level 5

Thanks gabe

I wil probably go for option 3

just had a thought though, could the users restore all there archived emails through outlook would this be quicker than doing option 3. 

I have approximately 3.7 million archived emails in my store, i would take a guess and say about 2 million of them will be removed eventually with users leaving, i presume that ev wouldnt be able to process that many in one go so would take some time, considering this would you be able to give a ball park figure on how long it may take to manually restore all these emails from the ev server to each users personnal email account.

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Users can restore all the archived emails from Outlook but they would need to go through each folder, select the archived emails and click the Restore button. Sounds like a little bit of work for the users and it would be hard to tell if all the archived emails were restored.

From the Enterprise Vault Admin console, you can export the archives back to the mailbox (option #2). I think that would be a better solution and you will make sure that all the archived data has been restored. Also, you can select multiple archives and perform an export in one step but it will take some time to export everything.

You can try with one archive and see how long it will take to export it and that could give you an idea of how long it would take for all the archives.