cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove a user completely from Enterprise vault

psuttill
Level 4
I am trying to remove a user completely from Enterprise Vault.

I have ran an export to export the users vault back to his mailbox , but it appears there is still items in his vault.

Using Archive explorer I can see pretty much all the attachments that were archived previously and in outlook it looks like many of the emails and attachments have been restored but there is still many that show archived still.

How Can I fully restore this users mail so I can delete their vault?

I am using Enterprisevault v7.5 on Exchange

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Running the Export does not delete the items from EV.  After you are done with the export you need to disable the user and then delete their archive.

For the items that show as Archived in the mailbox, are they duplicates?  The shortcuts might have been moved so when EV restored the archived item it left the shortcut in the new location.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

TonySterling
Running the Export does not delete the items from EV.  After you are done with the export you need to disable the user and then delete their archive.

For the items that show as Archived in the mailbox, are they duplicates?  The shortcuts might have been moved so when EV restored the archived item it left the shortcut in the new location.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
just to add, you can use the export wizard to remove the items from the vault but you can only do that when you specify the folder of which to restore
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

psuttill
Level 4
I am not able to find the users mailbox to disbale after i did the export either.

There are no duplicates. Trying to be extra careful since its the IT directors Email :). Gotta love working on the big bosses issues.

TonySterling

He may have been previously deleted.  As for the items that are still shortcuts, do they work?  Can you double click and see the archive item?

Christopher_Sor
Level 3
I had this problem with 7.5 and once i moved to v8 the process worked much better

Mark_Shoger
Level 4
Employee
Our procedure for doing a restoration/archive purge is to restore their archive to PST(s) and provide those to the user. Then we purge their vault. This has a couple advantages:

• The user's mail is contained in files that I can burn to a disc (we try to keep them off the network) so that the user can take them with them if they leave or change branches
  • The discs are read-only, so they can't accidentally delete anything, as they always have a backup copy on the disc - since PSTs must be read/write, they have to copy it to the desktop first.
  • They are able to restore to their active email only the messages they want. This actually ends up netting many fewer messages than they originally intended
  • It prevents Exchange issues, as many times the restoration would blow past the user's quota by a factorial degree
Hope that helps,

Mark

psuttill
Level 4
yes they work and we are able to unarchive 90% of them.

TonySterling

Can they be restored manually?  If there are not too many that could be the way to go.