cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Archives with Script

Weasel
Level 5
Hello,
we have EV8.0SP1. I need to remove old archives and I want to know: Is it possible to remove them by a bulk operation via script? There is a stored procedure DeleteArchive, which removes all database entrys based on the vautl-id as parameter. Does it remove the physical data what is no more needed too?
Regards
Ralf
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

patrickkuah
Level 6

Hi,

Under EnterpriseVaultDirectory database > Archives table.... There is a column called "Archive Status", change the value to 4 (which is mark for deletion)...only change for those archives u wanted to delete.... If possible, create some archives to test it out first before you procceed and make sure you backup your EV servers first.

cheers!
patrickkuah

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Maverik
Level 6
You are best of deleting them one at a time via the console to be honest as this ensures old data is deleted and DB's are cleaned up. I am not aware of any script and if there was would question if it was supported.  I checked EVPM as this was the only thing I could think of that might but it does not ;-(

This would perhaps could be an enhancement request?? via the below

http://enhancements.symantec.com

Weasel
Level 5
Well, I found the information about this stored procedure in Document ID 288779. It is a way to delete an archive if it fails via the console. It is easy to write a script to do a bulk deletion using this procedure, but is is not described if the physical data of the affected archives is deleted when it is not needed by any other archive. Perhaps anyone knows how the physical data is removed and if it works using the procedure too? It would be very helpful and reduce the administrative effort.
Regards
Ralf

patrickkuah
Level 6

Hi,

Under EnterpriseVaultDirectory database > Archives table.... There is a column called "Archive Status", change the value to 4 (which is mark for deletion)...only change for those archives u wanted to delete.... If possible, create some archives to test it out first before you procceed and make sure you backup your EV servers first.

cheers!
patrickkuah

Weasel
Level 5
Hi Patrick,
this is very helpful, thanks a lot! I will check this.
Cheers
Ralf

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Should work, but won't process them immediately, I think.

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Weasel
Level 5
Hi MichelZ,
it is not nessecary to process these archives immediately. I saw this in my test.
But, is it possible to trigger it or what delay is expected?

Cheers
Ralf

Weasel
Level 5

The Archives are deleted when the storage group is set into backup mode or after a restart of the storage service.

EDU
Level 4
Does this work as expected? I also need to bulk-delete several thousand archives in our integration environment.

-Ethan

MarkFoss
Level 3
I have deleted some unused archives that have never had items.  These archives no longer have an associated mailbox.  I deleted the archives but they are still showing up at the bottom of the provisioning reports (without a provisioning group). 

How do I remove them from the database?

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi Mark

Please do not hijack other's posts and create a new forums discussion for your own unique questions.
This way, we ensure fast response times and we can better track the progress of your inquiry, and we can flag your question with a solution which then will help others browsing the forums :)

That said, you can do the following:
Delete the entry from the ExchangeMailboxEntry table, in EnterpriseVaultDirectory Database.

Remember to always backup your database first.

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

MarkFoss
Level 3
Thanks.  I am new to Forums, so I apologize for the hijack.  I will make new entries next time.