cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Empty Folders from Archive Explorer in EV v8.0

Daniella
Level 4

Hi All,

Is there any way of removing empty folders from Archive Explorer immediately? In previous versions the Delete Empty Folders reg key used to do the trick found in this technote:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/283571.htm

In version 8 it doesn't seem to work. In the technote for versions 7.0 and above, it describes that the folders will be removed after 14 days due to the ophaned shortcut function. Is there a way to overwrite this? I've just migrated some mailboxes and tested the shortcut deletion and update archive location features and it works perfectly (this is a feature I have been wanting since I started using EV) though the folders I deleted out of Outlook still exist in Archive Explorer and I need to delete them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Daniella

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Daniella
Level 4
Hi All,

I have finally got this working. There was a problem with some entries in the Journal Archive table (missing ServiceID) that was stopping these folders from being deleted. Also for some folders, due to the folder having a subfolder, I had to go to the ArchiveFolder table and manually delete the folders in order for them to dissapear after resetting the DeleteEmptyFolders Reg Key to 1.

Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated.

Cheers,
Daniella

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi I think you have to wait for the 14 days. I think it's also because of the "dumpster" feature, not only orphaned shortcuts. You could try to disable the dumpster, but I'm not sure it it will delete items that are currently in it. /Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Daniella
Level 4
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply. Could you please tell me how to disable the dumpster so I can give this a go?

Thanks,
Daniella 

MichelZ
Level 6
Sure. On the Site properties in the VAC, on the "Archive Settings" tab, you have: "Enable recovery of user deleted items" Cheers Michel

Daniella
Level 4
Hi Michael,

Unfortunately the dumpster option didn't work... I'm still having issues deleting empty folders from EV.
Any other ideas????

Cheers,
Daniella 

MichelZ
Level 6
Are you by any chance running a 64-Bit OS on the EV Server?

Daniella
Level 4
Hi Michael,

Yes I am...

Its seems like alot of the problems evolving with EV are due to the fact of running the OS in 64bit mode!!!

Cheers,
Daniella 

MichelZ
Level 6
Have a look the the "Registry_Values.pdf",
in 64-Bit OS, you need to set the registry key under:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\Software
\Wow6432Node
\KVS
\Enterprise Vault

That's why it did not work.
(You can find it in the Reg Guide, Page 13 / About this guide -> Running Enterprise Vault on 64-bit Windows)

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Daniella,

To be honest I don't believe there are lost of problems with Enterprise Vault running on x64, most of the problems come in with stuff not being in the normal place within the OS and admins getting a little confused.

All your normal regkeys will now reside under Wow6432Node, this has nothing to do with Enterprise Vault or any x86 software for that matter but the fact that you are running a 32bit application under a 64bit OS.

Daniella
Level 4
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply. I have set the regkey under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\Software
\Wow6432Node
\KVS
\Enterprise Vault
\DeleteEmptyFolders (set to 1 and restart storage service)

My folders are still not deleting and I don't know why!!! Is there anywhere I can check to see why this is not happening?

Thanks,
Daniella

Daniella
Level 4
Hi Wayne,

I guess I have that impression due to the problems I've been experiencing though there is definately one big benefit and that is performance.

Anyway hopefully it gets better.

Daniella 

MichelZ
Level 6
Daniella

Sorry, my explanation was probably written confusingly, wayne described it better.

Instead of

HKLM\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault
all keys remain in

HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\KVS\Enterprise Vault

however, the path behind "Enterprise Vault" has still to be respected. You need to create the "DeleteEmptyFolders" DWORD underneath the "Storage" Key:

So:

1. Open registry editor on the Storage Service computer.
2. Create a new DWORD entry called DeleteEmptyFolders under the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Wow6432Node\Enterprise Vault\Storage
3. Give DeleteEmptyFolders a value of "1".
4. Restart the Storage Service.

Good luck!

Daniella
Level 4
Hi Michael,

I have already added the key under storage though still no go. The only thing I can think of is the system thinks the 14 days have not passed yet which I am hoping I can check somewhere in SQL.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Daniella 

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Daniella,

Can you provide a trace? Maybe that will point us where it is going wrong.

Daniella
Level 4
Hi Wayne,

Could you please advise the dtrace options you would like me to set?

Thanks,
Daniella 

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
OK, lets recap:

Stop the Storage Service.

Confirm that DeleteEmptyFolders key in: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Wow6432Node\Enterprise Vault\Storage exists and it has a value of "1".

Run Dtrace

DT> storageservice v y
DT> log sts.log

Start the Storage Service.

Monitor the DeleteEmptyFolders regkey and once it it back to 0 stop the trace

DT> quit
Select yes, and post the trace.

If the value of the key is not being reset back to 0, then run mon in dtrace to make sure the process is complete

DT> mon

if its complete there should be nothing happening and then provide us with that log.

Daniella
Level 4
Hi All,

I have finally got this working. There was a problem with some entries in the Journal Archive table (missing ServiceID) that was stopping these folders from being deleted. Also for some folders, due to the folder having a subfolder, I had to go to the ArchiveFolder table and manually delete the folders in order for them to dissapear after resetting the DeleteEmptyFolders Reg Key to 1.

Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated.

Cheers,
Daniella