cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restart Archive Tasks - Script

OldEmployee
Level 5

I know this is not primarily a scripting community.

But I was wondering if anyone could help me with a script that would restart the archive tasks on all the EV servers?

I tried looking into the EV shell, but there are no cmdlets for archive tasks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew_G_
Level 5
Employee Accredited

There is a little utility called EVService.exe which should be in your install folder (with a readme.txt file too) that can be used to contol services.

A little more information here too:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Enterprise-Vault-Engineering/Task-control-There-s-an-app-for-that/ba-p/79...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi mate,

You could use net stop/start commands to restart the task controller service which will restart all the tasks.

NET Stop /Y "Enterprise Vault Task Controller Service"

NET Start /Y "Enterprise Vault Task Controller Service"

Have a look on this post too: https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Downloads/Powershell-script-to-restart-services-daily-between-0645-and/ta...

--Virgil

Andrew_G_
Level 5
Employee Accredited

There is a little utility called EVService.exe which should be in your install folder (with a readme.txt file too) that can be used to contol services.

A little more information here too:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Enterprise-Vault-Engineering/Task-control-There-s-an-app-for-that/ba-p/79...

Thanks for this information.

I tried testing it with a single task, but it seems to be looking for a service:

.\EVService.exe stop server1 "Index Administration Task"

Response

Stopping Index Administration Task on server1....
Error: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

Does it needs to be executed from the EV Shell? Or do I need to use the task ID?

G_Fry
Level 4
Partner Accredited

The EV Service names are as follows:

EnterpriseVaultAdminService
"Enterprise Vault Directory Service"
EnterpriseVaultIndexingService
EnterpriseVaultShoppingService
EnterpriseVaultStorageService
EnterpriseVaultTaskControllerService

its only the directory service that has spaces in it.

Realise the value in Enterprise Vault. ->www.cloudficient.com

Thanks G_Fry.

But, I am trying run the utility on the Archive Tasks.

G_Fry
Level 4
Partner Accredited

oops my bad classic RTFQ.... I will okk in to it and post my findings.

Realise the value in Enterprise Vault. ->www.cloudficient.com

Ok, it worked.

Had to use the FQDN of the server.

Thanks, will look into scripting this now.

arnoldmathias
Level 4

We usually see multiple entries for the same journal mailbox in the J3 queues on journal archiving servers and hence we need to clear the J3 queues and restart the journal tasks again. We run the following powershell commands remotely on each of our journal archiving servers atleast once a day to stop the tasks, clear MSMQ entries, clear the MAPI profiles (Outlook 2013) and start the tasks.

For mailbox archiving servers, if required, we clear the A5 queues as well incase there are any stale entries from the previous scheduled run.

Stop-Service "EnterpriseVaultTaskControllerService"
Get-MsmqQueue | where {$_.queuename -like "*private$* j3*"} | Clear-MsmqQueue # for journal archiving servers
Get-MsmqQueue | where {$_.queuename -like "*private$* a5*"} | Clear-MsmqQueue # for mailbox archiving servers
Get-ChildItem -Path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\Profiles" | Where-Object {$_.PSChildName -like "EV_*"} | Remove-Item -Force -Recurse
Start-Service "EnterpriseVaultTaskControllerService"