cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restart of MS SQL Server with EV 10.X

jkohut
Level 2

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but I did a bit of searching and did not find best practice discussion on this. I inherited the EV application support at our company when the main EV person left and I am not sure that all the right best practices were being observed with respect to coordination of processes between servers.

I have EV 10.x server. I also have a MS SQL 2008 server servicing the EV 10.x server. When I apply Microsoft Updates to the MS SQL Server and then issue a restart (we do this weekly to refresh the servers and make sure they get updated) I would like to understand what the EV main server is going to do when the SQL Server restarts.

Will the EV server be able to gracefully detect the SQL server is down and just stop attempting to write to the SQL Server (thereby suspending any activities that require SQL server, until it is back up and then autoresume from where it left off) or will this cause major issues (i.e. corruption, EV services will fail and not restart when MS SQL server comes back up, etc...) ?

If it will likely cause issues, is the recommended best practice to stop the VaultStore processes on the EV server for the duration of the SQL Server upate/restart and then issue a restart ?

Is there a technical article on this (as I said, I did look for one) ?

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

I've not seen a technical article, but experience tells me that EV does not react well when the SQL server disappears.  I would suggest stopping all EV services prior to rebooting the SQL server to positively prevent any issues.

View solution in original post

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

best practice is to stop all EV services or before making any changes that take down SQL or affect it's availability, especially patching.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

I've not seen a technical article, but experience tells me that EV does not react well when the SQL server disappears.  I would suggest stopping all EV services prior to rebooting the SQL server to positively prevent any issues.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

best practice is to stop all EV services or before making any changes that take down SQL or affect it's availability, especially patching.

jkohut
Level 2

Yes, that is what I suspected. Thanks to both for answers.