cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore emails from Evault Backup

jacen10
Level 5

Is there a procedure where i can test restore my evault backup? i just want to make sure my evault backup is sufficient. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Disaster Recovery is detailed in the administrators guide, but theres not much you can do to just simply test a restore.

If you think about it like with Exchange, if you are sending and receiving items all the time and then you restore the environment to test it, you may now have lost email that people have sent/received since you performed the backup.

Doing a test restore in a production environment would definitely not be recommended.
There are some things you can do though if you have the server and storage availability to do it.

One scenario you may come across is you accidentally delete an archive you didn't mean to
for a restore in that scenario you would set up a test environment with the same DNS Aliases and such in a completely isolated and seperate environment, including storage and databases (not indexes) and then export the archive to a PST file and import it in to the other environment.

Maybe you could just do a restore of a partition and then compare the contents from the restore to the original

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Disaster Recovery is detailed in the administrators guide, but theres not much you can do to just simply test a restore.

If you think about it like with Exchange, if you are sending and receiving items all the time and then you restore the environment to test it, you may now have lost email that people have sent/received since you performed the backup.

Doing a test restore in a production environment would definitely not be recommended.
There are some things you can do though if you have the server and storage availability to do it.

One scenario you may come across is you accidentally delete an archive you didn't mean to
for a restore in that scenario you would set up a test environment with the same DNS Aliases and such in a completely isolated and seperate environment, including storage and databases (not indexes) and then export the archive to a PST file and import it in to the other environment.

Maybe you could just do a restore of a partition and then compare the contents from the restore to the original

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

have a look at the DR procedure in the admin guide. basically, you would setup a test environment seperate from your production, of course. to make it easier on yourself, build servers in there with the same names (or if not, follow the procedures afterwards about renaming servers) and restore your sql databases, vault stores, and indexes. reinstall EV and connect to an existing directory. that pretty much sums it up.

jacen10
Level 5

Thank you for the replies.