Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring a Mail from the Archive - Implications

Jack_Brace
Level 3
Partner

Hi, I'm Using EV 10.0.3.

The users are very keen on understanding when mails are archived and expired.  We have just discovered that restoring a mail from EV to changes the modified date, that is, the restored mail is not archived next time the Archive Task Runs. This showed up during testing and was confirmed by an article found by a colleague.

This is my first deployment since training and because

The customer is writing user comms and wants to understand the following:

• confirmation that restored items are not removed from the vault
  • the restored item with its new modified date will be archived when it's eligible
  • the restored item with its new modified date will be expired when it's eligible (assuming it's archived)

Many Thanks for your help!

2 REPLIES 2

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

hey Jack. i'll take a stab and answering the questions and i expect others will jump in with their input too. 

1. confirmation that restored items are not removed from the vault - the actions which remove an item from the archive (aka vault) are user delete (if allowed) or expiry based on retention. restore is a copy action.

2. the restored item with its new modified date will be archived when it's eligible - it's already been archived

3. the restored item with its new modified date will be expired when it's eligible (assuming it's archived) - it's already been archived and will expire based on the expiry settings you define in EV (archived data or modified date)

Jack_Brace
Level 3
Partner

Thanks Andrew,

We suspect the user may want to circumvent the storage expiry. If they restore just before the expiry time there is a copy in the mailbox and the vault. The retention expires so the item in the vault is deleted.

What happens when the item is again eligible for archivng. Does it go in the vault and is kept or is it deleted at the next Storage Expiry ru?