cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring of entire mailbox archive to PST

shiassid
Level 2

We currently use MS Exchange email services from a Service Provider in Europe. The Service Provider provides 1GB mailboxes for every user and to tackle the rather low mailbox capacity, they use Symantec Enterprise Vault to take care of the archiving. Having used this for past 6 yrs, most of the user's emails have already been archived on EV Server. Now we are planning to change to Office 365 leaving the current service provider. Once informed, the Service Provider will disable our accounts and we will no longer have access to the emails or archives. So before we do the cut off, we would like to download all the archived mails from the server to local PC as a PST. The EV Client software in Outlook allows to download small quanities of emails only and user has to undergo pains of downloading mails in small chunks and organize them in the PST which is an impossible and erraneous task. So I would like to know if there is any software from Symantec which will allow the end user to download the entire archive to a PST in one go.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

No, not really.

You should talk to your service provider and tell them that you want an extract to PST of each archive. Surely contractually the email is yours, and therefore you're allowed ?  (Hey, I'm no lawyer!)

You can make changes to webapp.ini to be able to extract to PST.

But that's a server side change.

You can setup Vault Cache, and allow that to download everything, but the data is not in 'simple' PST format. Again setting up Vault Cache needs to be done on the server side.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

No, not really.

You should talk to your service provider and tell them that you want an extract to PST of each archive. Surely contractually the email is yours, and therefore you're allowed ?  (Hey, I'm no lawyer!)

You can make changes to webapp.ini to be able to extract to PST.

But that's a server side change.

You can setup Vault Cache, and allow that to download everything, but the data is not in 'simple' PST format. Again setting up Vault Cache needs to be done on the server side.

shiassid
Level 2

I heard that something called Symantec Vault Tools can do this from client side. Is it true?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Written by who?

ChayDouglas
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Shiassid,

I don't believe the end user can download all their archived items in one go, but it can be done from The EV server? It may be more of a laboured process for the EV administrator, but from the VAC you can export the archive to a PST, ideally - you could place these PSTs in a share and the user can add the PST to their outlook client.

Alternatively all together, you could use a 3rd party product called TransVault that will allow you to export the archived items to the mailbox within office 365, and if you have Exchange Online Archives in Office 365, these can hold the archive data.

Cheers
Chay

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have never heard of such a tool.  As Rob said, it would need to be done from the server side so your first step is to contact your service provider and request archive as a PST.