cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retention Folder scripting

DynS
Level 4
We have several retention folders (GENERAL) that I added everyone to receive using a EVPM script...  but we have certain users that ALSO need to receive other retention folders (LEGAL) that no one else gets.
I have these users ALSO in a script for just these folders.
My question is.. If I run the second script (LEGAL) for the user.. does it somehow reset the retention periods for the GENERAL retention folders?

IE: do I need to have a SEPERATE single script for EACH user that has different retention folder requirements outside of the recieving the GENERAL folders?

I think we are seeing a residual issue for this..but need to check if my idea on how the EVPM scripting works.
6 REPLIES 6

Rob_Hanson
Level 6
Employee
You will need to create seperate ini files for each requirement.

If you run EVPM with a Filter for one folder, then run another for another folder, it will reset the original back to the default.

DynS
Level 4
So you are saying that I will have to have a seperate .ini script for EACH user that requires different folders?
ie:
Bob Smith gets a script for General folders
George Jones gets a script for General Folders and Legal Hold

..seriously?

andra_christie
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I'm pretty sure that applying a 2nd evpm ini will NOT overwrite previous settings unless a) they apply to the same folder or b) they contain a zap of the whole mailbox.

Will test and post results shortly.

andra_christie
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Did the following test:

1. Ran evpm script for user 1 to "DoNotArchive" folder "Sent Items" - made sure nothing from sent items was archived and items from other folders were.

2. Created some new mail items and ran second evpm script for user 1 to archive everything in folder "Archive Me" with retention category business  - this worked without a problem and also that no items from "Sent Items" were archived (so the initial script settings did did not get overwritten).

Hope this helps
andra

Message Edited by andra christie on 04-26-200705:36 PM

Message Edited by andra christie on 04-26-200705:37 PM

DynS
Level 4
Thanks, 
With the help of symantec support I *Think* we have found the issue.
My second script contained
[Folder]
name = mailboxroot
OverrideArchiveLocks = true
NonDeletable  = true

Which appears to reset the previous scripts folder retentions  to whatever you have set for normal retention (ie: turns them into normal mailbox folders.)

DynS
Level 4
Additional question,
Can you use multiple LDAP queries in a single script to set retention folders for multiple Exchange mailstores objects? (users)
In other words ..could I do like the following in a single script?

[Mailbox]
LDAPquery =
(homeMDB= CN=EX1SG1MS1,CN=EX1SG1,CN=InformationStore,CN=CR1NTPVX01A,CN=Servers,CN=First Administrative Group,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=BOOGIE,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=BOOGIE,DC=com)

[Mailbox]
LDAPquery =
(homeMDB= CN=EX1SG1MS2,CN=EX1SG1,CN=InformationStore,CN=CR1NTPVX01A,CN=Servers,CN=First Administrative Group,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=BOOGIE,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=BOOGIE,DC=com
[Mailbox]
LDAPquery =
(homeMDB= CN=EX1SG1MS3,CN=EX1SG1,CN=InformationStore,CN=CR1NTPVX01A,CN=Servers,CN=First Administrative Group,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=BOOGIE,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=BOOGIE,DC=com

[Mailbox]
LDAPquery =
(homeMDB= CN=EX1SG1MS4,CN=EX1SG1,CN=InformationStore,CN=CR1NTPVX01A,CN=Servers,CN=First Administrative Group,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=BOOGIE,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=BOOGIE,DC=com

; ========
;
; Name     =    !Accounting
;
; Settings =  - Archive items after 90 days old
;  - Archive unread items
;  - Create shortcuts to archived item
;  - Delete original after archiving
;  - Retention Category = !Accounting
;  - Vault = Default vault for inbox/user

[Filter]
name    = 90days