cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retention category - month - is it 28 days or a calendar month

KeithS1
Level 3

Hi,

I need to setup a new archiving policy and have been asked to set it to 14 months retention plan - this means 1 year and 2 calendar months (1 year and 60 days). When I specify the month period, does it count 28 days as a month or vary it based on the number of days in each calendar month, or average the days in a month across the year (e.g. 30 days).

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ChrisLangevin
Level 6
Employee

I can confirm it uses a calendar month. It's built on the SQL DATEADD and DATEDIFF functions, with the datepart argument set to month.

--Chris

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Interesting question. I've tried location info on that, but could not quickly. I do believe that if you select 14 months, it will obey the days in the month. Let's see what others find.

Regards. Gertjan

Prone2Typos
I believe it to be calendar month not a number of days.

TonySterling

I too believe it goes by calendar month.  A lot of customers I have worked with use number of days.  For example, instead of a 18 month retention they standardize on 540 days.  That way it is more predictable for them and it removes the ambiguity.  

ChrisLangevin
Level 6
Employee

I can confirm it uses a calendar month. It's built on the SQL DATEADD and DATEDIFF functions, with the datepart argument set to month.

--Chris

Thanks Chris, sorry for the late reply I did check back in on this post very soon after posting and didn't see a reply so ploughed on.

My policy is yet to be used in anger. I went for 15 months in the end.