cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retention category scenario

MikeK-GT
Level 4

Hello, i have a following scenario and need some advice. EV 12.5.1 enviro. All users have one default retention cat assigned "Forever". I have a list of Archives of users no longer with the company, their Archives not modified in more than 5 years. I need to create a new retention cat. "5 Years Mod" and apply it to my list of separated users. Since users do not exists in AD any more, how can I do this? Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Mike,

Trick question. If you want to do it as you describe, you need tooling. Check with your Veritas SE. Veritas bought Globanet, they have a tool called Classify. I am sure there are more tools, and possibly you can 'hack' SQL to do it, not sure.

Long route, create a new Vault Store, create the 5 year retention category, use Move Archive to put those abandoned archives into a new archive (with 5 year retention). 

bit more:

If your storage is on WORM for your user archives, you can change the forever retention to 5 years (or whatever is required), but WORM takes precedence. If that also has 'keep data forever', then you cannot delete items from it.

What I would do is to define what the longest retention needs to be (check with your legal department, and the business units). CHANGE the forever retention to reflect that longest period. Changing the retention category is NOT reactive. Items archived with that category when it was forever, remain 'forever'. Only newly archived items will get the correct retention.

You might want to explain what you want to achieve (expire items from those old archives? Remove them? use more retention categories?) to allow the colleagues in the forum to properly answer.

Regards. Gertjan

Thanks for quick reply. The goal is to get rid of archived data from separated users that have not been modified in the last five years. I think new vault store with 5 year retention would work better, time consuming but it should get the job done. 

BTW, I did not see a way assign retention cat when creating new vault store.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Mike, 

True, you set retention on archive, not VS.

If I recall correct, you can set the new retention category when preparing moving the archive. 

Thanks.

Regards. Gertjan

Hmm.. no way to set retention on Archive. The only way I see it is by Provisioning groups, and since my departed users do not have AD accounts, there is no way to change retention that I can find. Thanks