cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run Now

Paul_Daley
Level 5
We're having problems trying to do manual archiving runs during the day for a single mailbox using the "run now" option. It goes away and does next to nothing, despite the report mode saying that it will archive a number of MB of data.

Anyone seen this before? We're using v5 SP5.

We also had a strange thing last night where one mailbox was archived down to 14MB in size, despite the archiving rules saying that it should do no more than 50% of the quota (giving 100MB in this case). This mailbox had been over quota and we'd just reapplied the limits hoping that EV would then bring it down to 100MB...

Cheers for your help!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
If a mailbox is over it's quota then Exchange won't allow EV into the mailbox in order to bring it down.

When the item becomes a shortcut then the amount of space consumed by the mailbox comes down.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Paul_Daley
Level 5
OK, so I'm being stupid here... The run now archive does work but leaves the items in a pending state in the mailbox until the EV server has been backed up. Then the mailbox will reduce in size...

However, has anyone else had problems with archiving over limit mailboxes? When I do a report run it gives the quota usage as a negative number. Is this a bug?

Cheers,

Paul.

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Discussion on this topic is @ http://pub28.bravenet.com/forum/2381205959

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
If a mailbox is over it's quota then Exchange won't allow EV into the mailbox in order to bring it down.

When the item becomes a shortcut then the amount of space consumed by the mailbox comes down.

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Mailbox limits are only a problem if you create shortcuts.

If you are archiving to reduce Exchange Store size then there is more to it than reported mailbox size. Reducing this may not reduce the Store.

Check out the link.

Paul_Daley
Level 5
Thanks for the responses, and I appreciate the issues surrounding limits and shortcuts.

I have a number of users (mainly managers!) whos mailboxes have grown beyond the limit, and so they've had the limits removed. Now that I'm rolling out EV I can get the mailboxes back down to size and reapply the default limits.

When I tried this I just set the warning limit to the normal value, thus putting the mailbox over limit, and then I let EV archive it using a quota based policy. What seemed to happen was that it ignored the quota bit and only stopped archiving when it hit the "don't archive anything under X weeks" rule. The mailbox was then well and truly within limit!

Any ideas?

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Here's a thought:

You set a policy and enable the guy's mailbox with it when he is not send/recive busted.

You then change the policy and by this time the guy has bust his limit. The new policy will not be applied to the guy's mailbox.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

That can happen if you do multiple archiving runs against the mailbox without a backup in bettween (since it's the backup that reduces the mailbox size)