cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run provisioning task from a script - or increase frequency?

BruGuy
Level 6

Hi there,

Like it says in the subject. I'm trying to run the provisioning task from a script as part of an EV9 to EV10 migration.

Apart from using something like AutoMate, anyone know of any way to trigger it?

Or any way to even change the schedule to run every 30 mins instead of twice per day?

Here's hoping ...

TIA,

- Alan.

(Sorry if this is posted twice - seems to be a problem when I create content.)

10 REPLIES 10

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

im not aware of a way to change the schedule or to script it. you can, however, run it manually as many times as you need to. why isnt twice a day enough? i've done a lot of migrations and dont remember this being an issue.

BruGuy
Level 6

Got several thousand archives to migrate. Only allowed to do it out of hours. So need to split into batches. Don't want to hang around to press a button. Thx.

AndrewB

what are you using for the migration? at what stage of your migration do you need to run the provisioning task?

BruGuy
Level 6

The usual 3rd party product which needs to see the target archive in the EV10 archive listing before it will migrate to it.

Need to disable archiving on EV9 (put users in "disable9" Windows group + run provisioning).

Then create archive on EV 10 (put users in "enable10" Windows group + run provisioning + enable via EVPM ini files).

The provisioning is the manual step I can't overcome.

BruGuy
Level 6

Sorry see below.

AndrewB

sorry but there's no way to script the provisioning. since you said you dont want to be in attendance to hit a button i assume you scripted the add/remove of users to your AD groups and have your script on a scheduled task? what if you configure provisioning to run at the beginning of your "after hours" window maybe 15 minutes or so after you add your users to the enable group?

BruGuy
Level 6

Yes the other stuff can be scripted. I'm just trying to reduce the number of overall manual steps in different places. The migration tool needs to be kicked off anyway too. Thanks anyway. Wonder why EVPM can't launch tasks. Or the Powershell module.

Prone2Typos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hey BruGuy. 

I dont know where you are at in the project, but it is possible that the tool you are using is not the proper tool for the job. I have some familiarity with several migration solutions and know of the challenge you speak of. If you are still in the process of checking out tools that can do what you are seeking, you may wish to check out ArchiveShuttle. We can automate the enablement and disablement of users and manage both source and target archives for the users within the ArchiveShuttle workflow. You can even automate who is getting kicked off for a migration and when. 

From your posting it seemed like you may still be evaluating what solution is best for you. If you would like more information about AS or any other offering please let me know and I will ensure to get you in touch with the right person.

Sorry for your challenges presently.

Regards. 

J

BruGuy
Level 6

Thanks but we've already purchased the tool.

But interested to know does your tool handle shortcut rewriting in mailboxes?

And also does it migrate file server archives too (and rewite those kind of links too)?

Prone2Typos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Sorry that I misjudged the stage of your project and I have been in your shoes and had to do exactly what you are having to do. Sorry for the challenges. Our products attempt to center on a continuity of service to the end user, so we populate the target with the bulk of the content prior to moving into the final stages of a migration which includes the switch over from the source to target. This permits a minimum downtime to the end users, resulting in a lower number of helpdesk calls and aggravation for you or anyone in your position.

We absolutely handle a number of shortcut situations including updating them to the new archive. Naturally, several situations are unique and if you or someone was considering us we would like to discuss the particulars of your situation to ensure we are a fit. It does not sound like you are desiring to do anything too far-fetched. 

For FSA content, we have another migration utility centered on FSA called FSA Migrator. This is a lesser migrated content and the needs are specific, therefore we felt it best suited in its own product at this point in time. Information about this utility can be found here: http://evtools.net/fsa-migrator/

I know that shortcuts and FSA migrations are also something that common migration utilities are challenged with. I am really just an engineer so if you would like to discuss its specific use case for your needs and/or pricing I would have to get you in touch with someone else, but would be happy to do so. 

Thanks for the interest and please let me know if you would like more info or anything else.