cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running out of drive letters in EV server ?

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Hi People,

My current EV server 8.0 SP4 is seems to running out of drive space with just drive A: and B: available, the rest is consumed / used by the Indexer Volume and also Vault drives. I do archiving for both my Email Server and File Servers (multiple), so I wonder if the indexer and vault drives are full, what is the best practice to do to keep EV running smoothly ?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

it's not really much different from mounting a drive with a letter. in the event of an OS failure you would need to remap those as well. especially for larger environments, i like having a consistant naming convention all the way across (ev, vault store, partition, os, server, lun, volume, etc) so you can know exactly where everything belongs no matter where along the chain you look.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Well, you can either make the current drives bigger or you can start using mount points - mount new drives as folders under a drive letter.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

There are a lot of possibilities...

• Change your strategy and use CIFS drives as Vault Stores
  • Increase the size of your current Vault Stores
  • Consolidate Vault Stores to a bigger drive

Tell us more about your (storage) environment. Are those USB disks you mount on? Is it a SAN? Direct attached disks? What are your available options to increase storage?

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

AndrewB

i would lean towards using mount points as john mentioned.

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Hi Andrew,

Using mount points, sounds like a dangerous implementation to me ? so in the event of the OS failure, how can I re-attach the drive while expecting the mount point still there ?

I'm sorry in advance since I have never applied or implement mount point at all.

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Hi MichelZ,

Are those USB disks you mount on? No

Is it a SAN? Yes

Direct attached disks? yes it is Physical RDM attach / presenting the SAN LUN directly to the OS

What are your available options to increase storage? at the moment I'm unable to increase the LUN for the EV disks due to the not enough space in the RAID group, therefore I will need to recreate bigger RAID group and then migrate it over. In short answer isnot enough free space in the RAID group to grow the existing LUN.

AndrewB

it's not really much different from mounting a drive with a letter. in the event of an OS failure you would need to remap those as well. especially for larger environments, i like having a consistant naming convention all the way across (ev, vault store, partition, os, server, lun, volume, etc) so you can know exactly where everything belongs no matter where along the chain you look.

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Thanks Andrew !

I assume performance wise also not going to be affected.

AndrewB

correct assumption dushan. this is a common practice that is used in many large environments.