cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SEV SQL Server 2005 x64 Licensing

cmartin1
Level 2

If our sql server is dedicated for the SEV, I am thinking to license by device CAL's, since enterprise vault devices use this database server.   Although, we license 300 users (mailboxes) for the sev license.  I just don't know if this would be considered a 300 cal license for sql as well.  Any feedback of experiences on licensing this dedicated sql server would be very helpful.

Thank you,
Cheryl

2 REPLIES 2

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
This has always been an interesting conversation,  Enterprise Vault is connecting to SQL not the end users, so therefore in my eyes there is 1 user the service account accessing the SQL server, so I don't see how M$ could charge for each Enterprise Vault user for there SQL server?

To be honest I have never found out the truth, from my consultancy days and this was always a grey area that no one could answer for me.  I will see if i can get one of my M$ connections on the case, anyone else like to comment on this?

--wayne

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
See this: https://partner.microsoft.com/austria/licensing/40108835 Should make it crystal clear here on licensing: Use of hardware and/or software that reduces the number of devices or users that directly access or use the software (multiplexing/pooling) does not reduce the number of CALs required. See Multiplexing section in Chapter 5 for more information. If a user or device is accessing an application that connects to SQL Server (directly or indirectly), a CAL is required—even the application and SQL Server are running on different physical hardware systems. See Multiplexing section in Chapter 5 for more information.

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.