cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP Archiving e-mails are moved to the SMTP Holding Failed folder when EV is in backup mode

tommih
Level 3

Hi,

SMTP Archiving e-mails are moved to the SMTP Holding Failed folder when EV is in backup mode.

Does anyone find out solution of this case i found in support ?

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100048256

I think i have found similar problem in one of our EV SMTP server.

Regards. Tommi Hellman

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Yes this fix solved problem in our environment.

Enterprise Vault 12.5.3 - Maintenance Release. (Release date: 2021-01-25)

Regards. Tommi

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Tommi,

I am running EV12.5.2 and sometimes see this when SMTP stores go into backup mode.

According to the KB article, this issue is fixed in 12.5.3 and 14.0. We will upgrade mid next week (to resolve some other minor issues too), so then hopefully this issue is indeed gone.

I composed a short powershell. This moves items from the holdingfolder\failed to a single folder. After that, I move these items manually to a holding folder folder which is going to be processed in 10 minutes or so. you can run this script against several SMTP Servers. Change servername and destination servername and create the folders (or adapt query to your liking)

Get-ChildItem -Path "\\servername\H$\HoldingFolder\Failed" -Recurse -File -Filter "*.eml" | Move-Item -Destination "\\servername\D$\SMTP_Failed"

Regards. Gertjan

Hi,

Do you move those failed mails/items in latest open holding folder? (I think this is must to do otherwise EV do not archive moved items)

Do you know how/when EV are opening those holding folders where mail/items are put before archiving? (Possible to change settings somehow)?

Regards. Tommi Hellman

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

The holding folder format is fixed. Create a folder on a disk large enough to hold a few hours/days of mail. To prevent lost mails if EV is not running. Additional advantage is that you can exclude this folder from Antivirus scanning, instead of excluding the Day folders.

The format is Day\Hour\Minute, where you need to keep in mind that this is UTC time.

In my case, being in CET time:

Current date/time = 18-02-2021, 10:13 (in the morning)

Folder = \18\09\13 (you can check Date Modified, folder after 13 will show 1 month ago, folders before will show today.)

You will always have Data\Failed\NoMatchingTargets folders.

Regards. Gertjan

Hi,

There seems to be a fix in Enterprise Vault 12.5.3 - Maintenance Release. (Release date: 2021-01-25)

CFT-3062: SMTP items are moved to the Failed folder when EV is set to backup mode.

I will try this fix and let you know if it works in our environment.

Regards. Tommi Hellman

Hi,

Yes this fix solved problem in our environment.

Enterprise Vault 12.5.3 - Maintenance Release. (Release date: 2021-01-25)

Regards. Tommi