cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP; Handling of items in the Failed folder

haeussler
Level 4

Hello together,

we are facing an issue with failed items in the smtp holding folder. There are a few items where are failing with different erros. For example:

-Unable to archive eml file,26-11-2018,04:59:33 PM,..\26\16\25\1543249522.1624.2961825.eml,<8e9b68bf-ac7b-45c3-ac22-90fa673c6454@journal.report.generator>,0x0,No action,"Target: journal@example.com. Enterprise Vault is not running. "

How we can handle this failed smtp items? We have moved them from the failed holding folder into the smtp holding folder but the items where not processed.

Any idea?

Kind regards,

Lucas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Marc,

First, there seems to be an issue with 12.x SMTP, causing some items to go to the failed folder in case of a service restart, even if they are valid. I believe that is fixed in 12.3.2. Also take note 12.4 has been released last weekend. That also fixes an issue where the SMTP archiving task does not continue after a vault store comes out of backup mode.

In normal circumstances, there should be minimal items going to the failed folder. Unlike Journal Mailbox archiving, where items are moved to a specific folder (failed to copy etc.), failed SMTP items really need to be examined. They might be spam, or they might be corrupt.

As far as I know, the only way to reprocess these items is to manually move them back into a folder to be archived.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

GertjanA

Hello Lucas,

To which folder did you move the item? Back to the \26\16\25? It will then take (I believe) a month for the item to be processed.

We've been testing, and soon will be again, the SMTP archiving (12.3). What I found is that the folder structure is a bit confusing, as the folder structure is created based on UTC, regardless of what your server timesettings are. In other words, CET = 29/11, 13:45, folder will be 29\11\45

If I recall correct, if you place the EML file in a folder which is going to be processed, the item should be archived.

Regards. Gertjan

Marcde
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Gertjan, 

I'll reply on behalf of Lucas. You are right. The items got moved back to \26\16\25 and they stayed there.We moved them to a specific folder 30\13\50 on Friday and they got archived properly.

Is there any recommendation about the handling of items in the failed folder?  How do you or other partners / customers handle these items? SMTP archiving seems to not have any automatism to move items back to retry them.

Thanks

Marc

PMCS GmbH & Co. KG - A Serviceware Company
www.serviceware.de

GertjanA

Hi Marc,

First, there seems to be an issue with 12.x SMTP, causing some items to go to the failed folder in case of a service restart, even if they are valid. I believe that is fixed in 12.3.2. Also take note 12.4 has been released last weekend. That also fixes an issue where the SMTP archiving task does not continue after a vault store comes out of backup mode.

In normal circumstances, there should be minimal items going to the failed folder. Unlike Journal Mailbox archiving, where items are moved to a specific folder (failed to copy etc.), failed SMTP items really need to be examined. They might be spam, or they might be corrupt.

As far as I know, the only way to reprocess these items is to manually move them back into a folder to be archived.

Regards. Gertjan

Marcde

Good morning Gertjan,

thanks for letting us know. Basically every item in the failed folder had the error message that Lucas mentioned which indeed could point to the issue fixed in 12.3.2. We are still on 12.3.1 in this environment. 

However I did not find any proper information in the release notes of 12.4. Is there any official information that you could share or did you get the information about fixes in 12.4 in a technical case? 

Thanks 

Marc

www.serviceware.de

GertjanA

Hi Marc,

Usually, a major release (like 12.4) has the improvements which are in the previous minor releases (like 12.3.1 and 12.3.2)

As the issue you see might be the one fixed in 12.3.2, it will for sure be in 12.4

Regards. Gertjan

Marcde

Got it, misread your post as if there was something else fixed in 12.4 We'll try 12.3.2 and see if this works.

As always thanks for your help.

Kind Regards

Marc

www.serviceware.de

I have a question regarding this issue. If you have failed items in an Enterprise Vault server with SMTP Service installed, but you have more EV servers in the site with SMTP service configured with address rewriting to archive from the same target, can you move the content from one Holding Folder to the Holding Folder of another server to archive this items?

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,

David.

GertjanA

Hello David.

It is best to open a new discussion, as that will get more responses than adding a new question to an existing closed question.

If you open the new one, you can reference this question ofcourse.

Regards, GJ

Regards. Gertjan

Hello,

I have a large number of failed items to re-run but moving them folder by folder manually to an upcoming folder will take days since it is every minute for 3 days, does anyone by chance have a robocopy or xcopy script that will move only the files and not the folders? I have been messing with this but have not found the right switch to omit moving over the folders and am at this point in testing:  Robocopy "W:\test source" "V:\test dest" /s /mov /xd

Thanks!

GertjanA

Hello,

1 - please open a new thread/question. Adding to an already closed one will not get you the answers you need.

2 - I've been trying to create the same, but ended in using a tempfolder where I moved all items from the subfolders, then move them all to a folder that needs to be processed

If it is every minute for 3 days, do you mean you have the same folder structure in the Failed Items folder as you would have in the HoldingFolder? If so, why not copy that structure with items.

Regards. Gertjan

Thanks Gertjan, but they are all in the failed folder so that probably wont work. I will start a new thread.