Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Collation Latin1_General_BIN

HermanDV
Level 4
Partner
Hi,
A customer is wants to move his EV db's (from SQL2000) with Collation Latin1_General_CI_AS to a SQL2005 with master collation "Latin1_General_BIN".
I know how to change collations for the EV Dbs (based on the Symantec support docs) but i'm not sure about that "Latin1_General_BIN".
Anybody knows if this Collation Latin1_General_BIN is supported by EV (i did not find anything more specific than that the collation should be "case-insensitive")

tia
Herman
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi Herman,

Sure you have seen this: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/293475.htm  but as for support, well its not really that question you should be asking, but just having mixed collation issues...

Also remember, that if you steer away from the default, there could be possible issues in the future, when you do upgrades, as Enterprise Vault could possibly use some other collation when adding a new table or two.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi Herman,

Sure you have seen this: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/293475.htm  but as for support, well its not really that question you should be asking, but just having mixed collation issues...

Also remember, that if you steer away from the default, there could be possible issues in the future, when you do upgrades, as Enterprise Vault could possibly use some other collation when adding a new table or two.

HermanDV
Level 4
Partner
Hi Wayne,
Thanks for your answer, I knew the document, and in fact my question effectively came up while checking that document. 
There is mentioned that a uniform value for the collation is required for all EV db's and also the master: "The first check is to confirm if the collation of the master, EnterpriseVaultDirectory and each vault store database are the same" . 
I'm missing some basic guidelines concerning the collation to use for EV.  In the EV8 Planning Guide (p141) only the following is mentioned : "SQL Server must be installed and set up before configuring Enterprise Vault. Note that the sort order/collation setting for the SQL Server installation must be case-insensitive; case-sensitive installations are not supported"
So for me there is no "standard" or default.(not that i have found in any documentation so far)
And for what concerns new databases, i would expect that EV honours the collation settings in use (and not start using other "hardcoded" collation settings - which happened already before and was then qualified by Symantec as a bug)

Herman