cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Database

hipslu
Level 2

i've two geographically separated datacenters, in each of them is running exchange 2007 services. the wan connection isn't that high, so i will have to put ev (each with its own site) in each of the datacenters also for sure. due to bandwith reasons, i will even not be able to use sis. everything clear up to this point.

but there is still the single sql database - is there a way to get rid of it? is it possible for example to not only create a new site by installing the second server (and joining the existing directory), but install a whole new second directory?

thanks for opening me my eyes

7 REPLIES 7

LanceChase
Level 4
Certified

I would use another instance name on both SQL servers to totally seperate the two sites. In site A you might use SQL instance SiteA, in SiteB you could use SiteB as the instance name.

when you install or run deployment scanner for enterprise vault you then have to use the SQL server name\Instance.

hipslu
Level 2
thx for your reply. so that means it is no problem to have two fully independent installations? are there disadvantages too? what i'm thinking about for instance: what will i do when there will be the need to move exchange users from datacenter 1 to datacenter 2 some day?

LanceChase
Level 4
Certified

Since they would be two independant sites you would have to export the users emails into a pst and import them into the second site.

Is this one exchange organization?

hipslu
Level 2
yeah, it is. one simple ad, and one exchange org.

Joseph_Rodgers
Level 6
Partner

Hipslu,

A double site installation should work fine.  The only other caveats are two admin consoles (yes they can be on the same machine) and double entry of policies and configuration data.

If you have enough WAN bandwidth to keep the AD & Exchange in Sync you might have enough for the SQL traffic.

Check out the Performance Guide for detailed info on SQL traffic.  Having the EV Server local is the big bandwidth, remote SQL may not be that big a show stopper to keep everything in a single EV site.

-Joe

hipslu
Level 2

hm. i'm not really sure if this is a good idea to have two installations; isn't there any other way to split up the databases? 

i may be wrong, but there is a

- directory db: this one has to be central, ok

- monitoring db:  this one has to be central, ok

- vault store db: one per site, so is it possible to put the db in the corresponding location?

- fingerprint db: one per vault store group; i will have one group per location (no overall sis), so  is it possible to put the db in the corresponding location?

with this approach it would be possible to reduce wan traffic on the one hand, but keep features like central reporting on the other hand.

thx for your reply!

Joseph_Rodgers
Level 6
Partner

Hipslu,

The VSG (Vault Store Group) DB which is the fingerprint DB can be placed locally for each VSG.  I like to consider OSIS (Optimized Single instant Storage) to be data center based.  From what I've been told; later versions of the VSG will be able to spread out to achieve enterprise wide SIS but not quite yet.

I like your approach it keeps everything as simple as possible and the only concern is the EVDirectoryDB access or possible SQL HA for the local DBs (if that is an issue).

-Joe