cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Freeze twice a week

Gonza
Level 5
Hi, I have an EV server 8.0 sp2 and sql 2005 sp2, in the last month the sql server freezed twice a week and we don't know why ? We read the sql logs an the event viewer but we found nothing.

Please help !!!

Thnaks
GP
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gonza
Level 5
HI, yesterday HP technician upgrade a firmware and today everything is ok, aparently the problem is the hardware.

Thanks

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
What is going on during the time of the freeze?  ie archiving, sql backup, etc...

Also, is this a dedicated sql server?

Gonza
Level 5
HI is a dedicated SQL server, during the freeze archiving backup etc  can't do anything; nobody can't view the archived e-mails. Is very very very strange this situation.

Help!!!!

Thanks
GP

PJuster
Level 5
Employee Accredited
Can you clarify on you comment  "during the freeze archiving backup etc  "

What is happening when the freeze happens, is Enterprise Vault in the middle of an archiving run (scheduled or manual), is SQL being backed up ? Is there a weekly AV scan happening ?

What is common to the freezes, time of day, time of week ?

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
 Is Anti-Virus doing a scheduled full system scan? If yes then AV will use up all the disk performance and it looks like SQL is hanging

PJuster
Level 5
Employee Accredited
Hi Gonza,

As I previously posted

Can you clarify on you comment  "during the freeze archiving backup etc  "

What is happening when the freeze happens, is Enterprise Vault in the middle of an archiving run (scheduled or manual), is SQL being backed up ? Is there a weekly AV scan happening ?

What is common to the freezes, time of day, time of week ?

Gonza
Level 5
Some tips:

- When the sql server freeze there is no backup running.

- The sql server is dedicated to EV only

- Last freeze was on friday morning but others freezes was during afternoon.

- I found it that the problems began when the vsa account expired (the ad administrator is a genius grrr), now the vsa has no expire date.

- the sql server was in a blade with 8 cpus at 3000 mhs with 8 gb RAM

It is possible that in some part of the sql system the vsa account was in a loop with the old password?

Thanks !!
GP

PJuster
Level 5
Employee Accredited
Hi

Has the SQL freeze happened since you have set the VSA to not expire ?

When the SQL freezes is enterprise vault archiving ?

When the SQL freezes is an anti virus scanner running ?

Why do you say the SQL was on the spec you mention, have you moved it ?

Gonza
Level 5
HI,

The vsa was to to expire in 30 days, nobody knows that so the vsa expired. Then the ad admin set the vsa to non expire but some sets in the vault installation have to correct manually the pass because the EV don´t work well. In this moment the ev works fine.

The policy is set to archive during 24 HS with interval in 1 hour.

The virus scanner is not running during the freeze.

The sql was never move it.

I don't know if the vsa account is the problem.

Thanks
GP

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
There is one way to see if the service account is the issue

You can reapply the service account details to all the EV servers in one go

Login to the EV server as the service account

Right click on Directory on XXXX where XXX is the name of the server and select Properties

Select the Service Account tab

Reenter the Service Account details domainname\serviceaccount and re-enter the password twice and click apply
EV will go out and reapply these service account settings back to all the EV servers. If there is any issues it will report an error.

I suggest that instead of typing the username and domain name use the browse button to find the service account

Gonza
Level 5
OK I wll do it because two minutes ago just freeze again.

Thanks !!!

GP

Gonza
Level 5
I have to restart the sql server and started manually the mssqlservice, the service started ok but one minute later the server freeeze again. I have ping only. I will try to restart again bi ilo.

Thanks
GP

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I would make sure that all the ev services are stopped during this time.  If the freeze keeps occurring then that would rule EV out.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Gonza

What exactly is freezing?
Is it just the SQL Process, or the whole machine (i.e. Windows)
Are you able to log in?
What Service Pack for Windows and SQL are you on?

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Gonza
Level 5
HI, yesterday HP technician upgrade a firmware and today everything is ok, aparently the problem is the hardware.

Thanks