cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Query for retention categories

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi
Is there a way within SQL to change the retention period of a group of archives by manually changing the Retention Catagory ID?
Storage expiry is currently off but we currently we have a 7 year retention category for all the archives (about 5000) and I need to take about 500 of these and make them 15 years before I turn on storage expiry. I was hoping to be able to create the new 15 year retention catagory, run a SQL query to get the retention category ID for the new 15 year category and run something like the below (which I found on the forum)

Use [VaultStoreDB]
Update Top (10000) Saveset set RetentionCategoryIdentity = [NewRetentionCategoryIdentity] where ArchivePointIdentity = [ArchivePointIdentity]

clearly I would also need to create a list of archive point IDs for each of the Archives I want to change, but am I on the right lines?

many thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA

Hello Caden,

That is not going to be supported :)

There are a few options. Set these archives to not use automatic deletion. That does mean items will not expire ever.

Move the archives to a new Vault Store, with assigning new retention.

Use Classification in EV (additional license..) to re-assign retention, and/or prevent expiry for specific items/archives.

use 3rd party tool (Classify from Globanet) LINK

Use DA (if you have that) to set items currently in those archives on Legal Hold. (cumbersome, requires thorough planning).

Maybe you know a consultant who has done this, I have not....

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

GertjanA

Hello Caden,

That is not going to be supported :)

There are a few options. Set these archives to not use automatic deletion. That does mean items will not expire ever.

Move the archives to a new Vault Store, with assigning new retention.

Use Classification in EV (additional license..) to re-assign retention, and/or prevent expiry for specific items/archives.

use 3rd party tool (Classify from Globanet) LINK

Use DA (if you have that) to set items currently in those archives on Legal Hold. (cumbersome, requires thorough planning).

Maybe you know a consultant who has done this, I have not....

Regards. Gertjan

Prone2Typos
Hi. I am 83% sure this will only impact items archived in the future as historic retention is set on an item level. Gertjan is correct at your options. I have not used the newish classify EV option natively (and didn't know it was license dependent) but I used to use the heck out of GN's Classify.

CadenL

Thanks both

The OP (where I got the query from) seems to suggest it does retrospectively change the archived items - but they don't seem to be active on the forum any longer so I can't PM them.

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Articles/Enterprise-Vault-useful-SQL-queries/ta-p/812519

(it's in a post after the main post from Liam)

I guess it might need someone like Alex or Chris Langevin to say for certain exactly the affect of SQL query and if it is too dangerous to use.

Anyway - the move archive option might work for me as there aren't really any time constraints so it will take a long as it takes to conplete. But at what point do I get the option to set a new retention category?

I assume I first create the new retention category and then create a new vault store. Is it during the 'move archive' wizard that I see the option? I vaguely remember seeing an option for this if the archive is being moved across sites but wasn't sure if that option is available when moving from one vault store to another within the same site.

many thanks again