cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safety folder use in FSA

daredevil_jr
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi all, I'm using EV 9.0 and would like to enable delete from vault when deleting shortcuts for users at a customers site. On the delete placeholders tab under File Server targets, it recommends the use of safety folders for the restoration of placeholders in the event of accidental deletion. It also says that the folder should not be an archived folder (here the misunderstanding). Placeholders deleted in the safety folder will not delete the corresponding file in the archive. If the saftey folder doesn't get archived then there is no archived file!!! Can anyone explain, beyond what is documented in the "Setting up file system archiving" document, the practical use of the safety copies folder and how to set it up correctly?

Kind thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

I believe it means you should not select the Target folder to be a safety folder. In the screenshot below, my tree is showing the FSA targets, and I've setup CustomerData, which is actually an Archive Point using a folder - this I believe is the TARGET folder. This folder is C:\CustomerData and below this Volume I have subfolders.

I should nominate the subfolders as safety folders, but not the target. I had a case once where they did this, and it caused problems. I can't seem to find anything else to specifically state this though.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So the Safety Folder is supposed to be where you restore the deleted placeholder to in the event of the accidental deletion.   That is how there would be placeholders in it.

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

From the FSA Guide

We recommend that you specify a safety folder when you use the Delete archived file option. An archived item is not deleted if its placeholder is deleted from a safety folder.On the DeletePlaceholder tab, specify the folders to use as safety folders.

A safety folder is useful when a user deletes a file accidentally. You can restore files temporarily from backups to the safety folder so that the user can find the file. The user can delete placeholders from the safety folder without deleting the corresponding archived items.

If you mark a folder as "Safety Folder" it will contain shortcuts to items that have been archived. If a user deletes the shortcut, it WILL NOT remove the same item within the archive. You can then use tape, or FSA Utility, to get the placeholder back.

daredevil_jr
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi Mark, the part that I am failing to understand is that, yes I can choose a sub-folder in an archive point as a safety folder, therefore I could for example have a Personnel folder as a safety folder, making sure that if a user in the personnel dept accidentally deletes an item, that we can restore the shortcut from a backup. What I don't understand is that in the delete shortcut tab of the fileserver object, it requests that the safety folder not be an archiving target. If it is not an archiving target, there wouldn't be any shortcuts there anyway. Is the request that it not be an archiving target an error or am I misinterpreting the request?

Thanks again for your help.

Jeff

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

I believe it means you should not select the Target folder to be a safety folder. In the screenshot below, my tree is showing the FSA targets, and I've setup CustomerData, which is actually an Archive Point using a folder - this I believe is the TARGET folder. This folder is C:\CustomerData and below this Volume I have subfolders.

I should nominate the subfolders as safety folders, but not the target. I had a case once where they did this, and it caused problems. I can't seem to find anything else to specifically state this though.