cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Says the database and vault stores hasnt been backuped up

hystad
Level 4

Hey, i`ve noticed that enterprise vault thinks the databases and vault stores hasnt been backed up if i use incremental backup, it reacts and remove the errors after a full backup every weekend, but in the weekdays it only does incremental and it says its been 5 days since last backup, even backup exec says its backed up.

Any suggestions how i can fix it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AWMorris
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

The alert message isn't going to go away until the Full backup has finished.  You will need to increase the Enterprise Vault alerting mechanism to 6 days if you want the alert to disappear.  If after increasing to 6 days you still get the alert, that means that the backup didn't complete.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

I believe that is by design as when you perform an incremental backup backup exec only backs up the transaction logs and then truncate them. More details here:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO73909

So setting the incremental backup does not actually backup the database until you actuall set a full backup. Hence EV does not recognise database has been backed up until you perform a full backup.

hystad
Level 4

Yeah, seemse like it. So what do you recommend? doing Dif instead of incrementel?

We want to keep our archived email safe.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Depending on how large your databases are...best practice is Full backup.

hystad
Level 4

We are only 300-400 users. So it would be kinda overkill to do a full backup everyday wouldnt it? Would aswell cost alot of money.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

it's not the number of users, it's how large your databases are....we have 15k users and all of our databases come to around just over 100GB and we still need to have a full daily backup. It's all about how much are you willing to risk if you are not doing a full backup. Considered yourself lucky with just 300-400 users :)

hystad
Level 4

Yeah, I guess ill do full, but do i need journaling to restore 1 email that got deleted from archive from backup? You seem to have alot of experiance.

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

An incremental backup can be used and you can stop that warning message if you edit the backup job so that it inlcudes resetting the archive bit as EV relies on the archive bit to know whether a file has been backed up or not.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

There a lot of people of this forum that have more experience and know much more than me :-).

Well, it's really all about costs.

If a user deleted an email from their archive and you need to to restore that from backup? You need to built an EV DR site and then restore EVERYTHING just to restore that deleted email from the archive. If you have a small environment the it is recommended that you don't allow users to delete from their archive unless required for legal reasons etc. etc.

If you have journal archiving then it would make life easier as you can first go to the journal archive to restore the message first then backup if need be (hopefully don't need to), but of course you need licensing and built a server dedicated for joural archiving and of course storage as well.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

That's for backing up the EV vault store partition....I think hystad is talking about backing up the EV databases.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

For the vault store partitions backup it does not really matter what type of backup you use as you can use IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger to secure the items....again, recommendation is Full backup. :)

AWMorris
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

The alert message isn't going to go away until the Full backup has finished.  You will need to increase the Enterprise Vault alerting mechanism to 6 days if you want the alert to disappear.  If after increasing to 6 days you still get the alert, that means that the backup didn't complete.