cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule a Enterprise vault client syncronisation

Mark_Caz
Level 2

Hi.

We have a number of users experiencing slow vault performance while the the client is syncronising the vault, naturaly.  
Is there a way to start a client syncronisation via the windows task scheduler so the syncronisation runs overnight ?

OS is Windows 7 sp 1
Mail client is Outlook 2010 sp2
EV client is 10.0.4

Many Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Well really the issues can be because like you said, too many users hitting it at once, but thats what the sync slot mechanisms are for, theres a lot of querying of the JournalArchive/Delete/Update/Stub tables in SQL, some index queries,  synching of folder locations, creating folders on the server, or syncing folder moves, along with upload items etc

If you then have users who have thousands of folders and huge archives, it can take a long time to do the sync, so i see what you mean about wanting to schedule it, but yeah, it just doesn't exist unfortunately

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JesusWept3
Level 6
Unfortubstely not, the way it was set up with the synch every 24 hours or three minutes after outlook is to make sure that the synchs are somewhat random Because obviously each EV server has only so much capacity, if thousands of users hit the machine at the same time then they'd get server busy errors Also you probably wouldn't want to be synchronizing at the same time as your mailbox archiving is occurring Your best bet really is to try and troubleshoot why it's so slow

Mark_Caz
Level 2

With a OS patching cycle that runs over the weekend we end up with most of the large amount of users trying to sync when they login at 9:00am on Monday.
At least if we can schedule a few to go Sunday night it won't be a large bottleneck for the morning slots.
I'll try running the Outlook process under the users context and see if that would kick off the sync.

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

Vault synchronization should not take much effort on a normal basis since EV does a preemptive copy from the OST to the vault cache.  If there is a significant amount of data being transferred via vault sync then I would look at my archive settings compared to my preemptive vault cache settings to determine where the difference is.  Essentially the sync should only be updating pointers.  This will obviously be affected by a large amount of manual archiving or drag-n-drop user archiving.

JesusWept3
Level 6

Well really the issues can be because like you said, too many users hitting it at once, but thats what the sync slot mechanisms are for, theres a lot of querying of the JournalArchive/Delete/Update/Stub tables in SQL, some index queries,  synching of folder locations, creating folders on the server, or syncing folder moves, along with upload items etc

If you then have users who have thousands of folders and huge archives, it can take a long time to do the sync, so i see what you mean about wanting to schedule it, but yeah, it just doesn't exist unfortunately