Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduled archiving won't work

cybergirl1987
Level 4
Employee

Hello everyone,

Could anyone please point me to any forum discussion page, article or a technote which says EV will not archive if a user's mailbox is full. I have a user who has problem with archiving whenever his mailbox is full, manual archiving works though. It's just the scheduled archiving that won't work for him anymore. They are using quota based policy and "Archive Items until mailbox available storage reaches" is set to 5%. We are pretty sure it is the issue with his mailbox being full too often which is causing the archiving to stop, but there are no event errors when this happen, and also dtrace doesn't find anything. Has anybody seen this issue before?

Any help will be greatly appreciated !!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Which version of Enterprise Vault?  Because I'm sure that this issue was fixed recently(ish)

Traditionally nothing would get archived if you were over quota because the first step in the process is to delete the current hidden message, with settings in it, and then add a new one.. but if you're already over quota that will fail.  It's the same when trying to archive an item, the 'update' to the item to make it archived/shortcut/pending will fail because you're over quota.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Which version of Enterprise Vault?  Because I'm sure that this issue was fixed recently(ish)

Traditionally nothing would get archived if you were over quota because the first step in the process is to delete the current hidden message, with settings in it, and then add a new one.. but if you're already over quota that will fail.  It's the same when trying to archive an item, the 'update' to the item to make it archived/shortcut/pending will fail because you're over quota.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Actually it might be this from the 10.0.1 Release notes:

In some circumstances, Enterprise Vault disabled over-quota Exchange mailboxes [Ref 11306, R9039589, E1746208]

In some circumstances, over-quota Exchange mailboxes became disabled during mailbox synchronization.

This has been fixed. Enterprise Vault now writes an error to the event log to indicate that a mailbox could not be synchronized, and the mailbox remains archiving enabled.

cybergirl1987
Level 4
Employee

Thanks for the reply, Rob. User is using EV 10.0 however I'll cross check and see which version exactly. If he is using 10.0, Should I be recommending him to upgrade to 10.0.1 so that he can see error messages in event logs or atleast archiving reports whenever such thing happens?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Well the Exchange Mailbox Archiving Reports were introduced in EV 10.0.2

I would suggest, based on the information I just posted above, that you check back with the customer and see if that fits what they are seeing... before recommending any kind of change/upgrade.

cybergirl1987
Level 4
Employee

Hello Rob,

Well in my case, the mailbox itself is not getting disabled however the schedule run won't archive this mailbox anymore unless the quota is increased or if the user reduces the size of the mailbox. And that's what I needed to confirm whether EV can place the hidden message in the archive or not when the user mailbox is full. So, thanks for the confirmation.