cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search and Archive Explorer has very slow respons.

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
Hi,

I have a question if other is seeing this behaviour.
EV 8.0 SP3. Outlook 2007, exchange 2007.

When user open outlook and click on search or archive explorer, the web server is responding very slowly, 15-25 sec before page displays.
After the page been opened once, it responds very fast every time.

EV is running in VMware. But doesn't seem to be related to VM. Opening archived mail works great.

Anyone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yannick_FR
Level 4
Partner Accredited
After each IISRESET, I experience the same issue.
Tested on different customers platform are IIS6/W2k3 R2/EV8SP3 and IIS7/W2k8 R2 x64/EV8SP4 and SQL2005 for both install.

I tried without success the w3wp.exe.config and to disable  the "Recycle worker processs in minutes in the "EnterpriseVaultAppPool" in IIS6 and IIS7 (Regular Time Interval)!

This problem occur on the EV server when login into the search.asp or from a user desktop Outlook client accessing the search vault (40-60sec neccessary)

HOWEVER this is only occuring after an IISreset for the first user that try to login into one of web interface:the search.asp, search explorer or archive explorer.
Once IIS has received its first connection/authentication, it is showing for all other users instantly.

Looks like IIS need to cache someting for the first logon attempt after IISReset or a reboot of the EV server.
In practice after a reboot, be the first to logon and check if EV is back online before any user is doing it to avoid a service desk call.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
dont suppose the users have access to a lot of archives do they?
is this the same for everyone or just a number of users?

if you open archive explorer through IE instead of Outlook, is it quicker?
such as http://yourEVServer/enterprisevault/archiveexplorerui.asp

Are these users internal on the network, or are they connected to a VPN etc?
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
so the delay is just the first time that someone opens search or archive explorer?

after that, and for a "longish time", it's nice and fast?

Working for cloudficient.com

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
JesusWept2 : All users are located on internal LAN. We have not tested using IE, but can of course test that. There are currently only 5 users on the EV install. Very fresh install..
  Rob : Yes you are correct, only first time opening, after that everything is quick and smooth.

NilsV
Level 3
Partner
We experienced this as well, but only when the services restarted, or when the Enterprise Vault application pool in IIS restarted. It seems that it takes a while for IIS the wrap it's head around the indexes.

As a workaround, we prevent the application pool from restarting in IIS on the EV box that has the Storage Service, which solves the problem in the short term.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
There is a documented workaround to this which will be released with 8 SP 4.  I will try to check if I can post the solution here too.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Okay, so try this :

- Create a text file on the EV server in C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv folder (if using IIS 6 that is a pre-requisite of EV8)
- Copy the following lines:

<configuration>
      <runtime>
           <generatePublisherEvidence enabled="false"/>
     </runtime>
</configuration>

- Rename the file to "w3wp.exe.config"
- Do an IISReset

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
We tried to make this file, but still very slow response, any other ideas? 

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

hmm I'm not sure what to suggest, in my test environment without the above in place I'm looking at upwards of a minute for the "first search" when the IIS worker processes have not been started.  With the above in place I'm down to a couple of seconds.

What sort of delay are you seeing?  

Maybe there is an error in what you set up from my instructions?

Have you identified any pattern?  Is it remote users, local users, only when IIS has been restarted, etc?

Ameen
Level 6
Hi,

Please follow the below link, i had similar problem and it got fixed by following the same.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/334007

Regards,
Ameen.

Yannick_FR
Level 4
Partner Accredited
After each IISRESET, I experience the same issue.
Tested on different customers platform are IIS6/W2k3 R2/EV8SP3 and IIS7/W2k8 R2 x64/EV8SP4 and SQL2005 for both install.

I tried without success the w3wp.exe.config and to disable  the "Recycle worker processs in minutes in the "EnterpriseVaultAppPool" in IIS6 and IIS7 (Regular Time Interval)!

This problem occur on the EV server when login into the search.asp or from a user desktop Outlook client accessing the search vault (40-60sec neccessary)

HOWEVER this is only occuring after an IISreset for the first user that try to login into one of web interface:the search.asp, search explorer or archive explorer.
Once IIS has received its first connection/authentication, it is showing for all other users instantly.

Looks like IIS need to cache someting for the first logon attempt after IISReset or a reboot of the EV server.
In practice after a reboot, be the first to logon and check if EV is back online before any user is doing it to avoid a service desk call.

Yannick_FR
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Actually after each 30mn of IIS inactivity same issue? w3wp is running to 50 percent cpu until searchvault or search.asp show.

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
Thanks for your feedback. I did a support call on this just to verify that nothing is wrong. And as suggested in this thread, Search and Archive explorer is expected to have a slow respond "first" time in the morning or when ever cache data is "out" of date of date and needs to be downloaded from EV server to client outlook.. Cheers folks :)

Yannick_FR
Level 4
Partner Accredited
I find out that the idle time in IIS 7 on the EnterpriseVaultAppPool as a settings call "Idle Time-out (minutes)" set to 20 by default. Also in the System Event Viewer you should have a 5186 event call WAS only on IIS7:

A worker process with process id of '6848' serving application pool 'EnterpriseVaultAppPool ' was shutdown due to inactivity. Application Pool timeout configuration was set to 20 minutes. A new worker process will be started when needed.

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc735034(WS.10).aspx
"Internet Information Services (IIS) application pools can be periodically recycled to avoid unstable states that can lead to application crashes, hangs, or memory leaks."
Surely EV is a well develloped application not sure yet about IIS7, but it might be a solution to disable the time-out.

Basically if for 20mn nobody query IIS (using search vault (search02k.asp or search.asp) then the process pool go on standby. In a test environment it will happen a lot due the low activity but in production it  will be ok if you are not the first searching the vault on the morning.

I set mine to 60mn on my prod to avoid any discomfort or support call. I will probably increase this value over time or disable it.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Many people do the same thing as Yannick is suggesting....

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
Would it also apply for IIS 6, sins EV is installed on 2003 IIS 6 is in use.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Yes I believe so.

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
Will have a look at it :)