Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Senario of Archiving with EV from Exchange In-Place Archive

vaultlearner
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello

One of our customer using Exchange Archiving. Now they want to use Enterprise Vault instead of Exchange Archiving.

1. Is it possible archive with EV from 'Exchange Archive database' directly?

2. If it is not possible archive from Exchange Archive database it self what is the best practise? Export PST from Exchange Archive database and import or Move items from Exchange archive database to primary users mailboxes?

Thanks

Vaultlearner.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello again,

Finally, a smart customer :)

EV only archives from the live-mailbox, not the archive mailbox. There are a few options, of which you already described a few.

It depends on what the customer wants in regards to the structure in the archive mailbox. I have not used that, but I look at it as being an 'exchange' pst for the mailbox. You can use EVPM (see Utilities guide) to define a folder in a users mailbox. You can set the folder to be archived immediately (i.e. when the archiving task runs according to schedule). Call the folder something like "archive mailbox". Have users move items/folders from their archive mailbox to that folder. Items will then get archived, and end up in the EV archive in folder "archive mailbox", with the subfolders as defined by the user.

The thing to keep in mind is that you don't want an archive mailbox of 50GB put in the live mailbox in one go. User education is key in this. Obviously, depending on the amount of users, and archive mailbox size, you can do all in one go, or do batches of users. If necessary, perform a 'run now' on the task to archive the folder. Also think about the need to have shortcuts for those items, or if you tell the users these items will be only in Archive Explorer/Search.

exporting the archive maibox to pst is an option (together with manually importing that pst into the users archive), but is more labor intensive.

GJ

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

GertjanA

Hello again,

Finally, a smart customer :)

EV only archives from the live-mailbox, not the archive mailbox. There are a few options, of which you already described a few.

It depends on what the customer wants in regards to the structure in the archive mailbox. I have not used that, but I look at it as being an 'exchange' pst for the mailbox. You can use EVPM (see Utilities guide) to define a folder in a users mailbox. You can set the folder to be archived immediately (i.e. when the archiving task runs according to schedule). Call the folder something like "archive mailbox". Have users move items/folders from their archive mailbox to that folder. Items will then get archived, and end up in the EV archive in folder "archive mailbox", with the subfolders as defined by the user.

The thing to keep in mind is that you don't want an archive mailbox of 50GB put in the live mailbox in one go. User education is key in this. Obviously, depending on the amount of users, and archive mailbox size, you can do all in one go, or do batches of users. If necessary, perform a 'run now' on the task to archive the folder. Also think about the need to have shortcuts for those items, or if you tell the users these items will be only in Archive Explorer/Search.

exporting the archive maibox to pst is an option (together with manually importing that pst into the users archive), but is more labor intensive.

GJ

Regards. Gertjan

vaultlearner
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello GertjanA

Thank you for the answer.

With the EVPM utility we can set archive from a folder in the users mailbox you said. But when user drag a lot of items from Exhange Archive to primary mailbox(livemailbox) going to get full if the quota not enough right? Or like you said it will be huge work load on the EV server it self. User education is very hard :)

Thank you for the full explanation..

Vaultlearner.

GertjanA

Hello again, yes, quota is something to be considered.

If the mailbox is full, no archiving will happen. this is due to the archiving process.

I'm sure you can figure out a smart and secure way to get it done.

Regards. Gertjan

vaultlearner
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello GertjanA,

What if we didn't use EVPM to archive a folder like you said. Instead of that we can archive all primary mailbox but we can create folder like 'From Archive" and archive all mailbox like normal procedures is there any difference? We can ask user fill that folder from Exchange Archive items.Of course still we have same problems like quote etc. like you said for EVPM.

Thanks,

Vaultlearner

GertjanA

Hello again,

Back to basics :) Ofcourse you can only use the default archiving policy. As you (probably) know, if you set the policy to 'archive everything older than 30 days', EV looks at the modified date of the item to determine if the item is eligeble for archiving. If the modified date of an item being copied from ArchiveMBX to MBX CHANGES to today (due to the copy/move), you will have those items sit in the MBX for 30 days...

If you use EVPM the way I said, you instruct EV to archive anything from that specific folder, irregardless of the modified date. You can then decide to do batches of users, and remove the quotae of those mailboxes for the time being. As soon as the items are archived, set quota again, next batch.

Regards. Gertjan

vaultlearner
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello GertjanA

:) Okay I got the difference, modified date going to change when we move them. 

Thank you very much again :)

Vaultleaner.