cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Migration Wizard not responding

Laura
Level 3

I am moving from EV11.0.1 to EV12.3 (and from Server 2008R2 to Server 2016).

Export from the source worked fine. Copied all files from source to target.

Started the server migration wizard on the target server. Import to the target server completely stalls out after DNS resolution check has passed and I press the "Next" button to proceed. The DNS resolution screen is still showing and the application says "Not Responding" and task manager shows that there's absolutely nothing going on with it. The "Back", "Cancel" and "Help" buttons are active, but don't respond. The log file shows that the last thing done was to successfully create two DSNs.

I waited for as long as an hour just to make sure that I wasn't prematurely pulling the plug.

Any ideas what might be happening?

Thanks,

Laura.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Laura,

I'm not sure it is in a document somewhere, but in a production environment you should definitely not run SQL and EV on the same server. I have no idea on what to look for next. I'm even not sure a logfile is created during runtime of the wizard. Perhaps logging can be enabled, or perhaps even dtrace has an option to log from the wizard, I don't know.

To be sure, you are using the 12.3 migration wizard right?

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100038733.html

You might want to check in with support, to see if they can assist somehow.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

Just popped in to let everyone know what the issue was -- because I was also testing moving to a new SQL Server, I had moved the database files from the source machine. To do this, I needed to stop the SQL services.

I used Sysinternals Process Monitor to find out that when the wizard was totally stalled, it was looking to communicate with the old SQL Server via a named pipe. By simply starting the SQL services on the old SQL server, the wizard proceeded forward.

Simple thing, but it might be a gotcha that someone else runs across.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

VirgilDobos

Hi Laura,

Have you checked if you can communicate with the SQL server on the configured port?

--Virgil

Hi Virgil -

I can connect with SQL Management Studio from the server itself (EV and SQL Server are on the same server).

I can also, from a remote computer, connect via ODBC (using port 1433) with the enterprise vault admin user, which is the user ID being used for the server migration.

Are there other SQL connectivity tests that I should attempt?

Thanks,

Laura.

GertjanA

Hello Laura,

I hope this is a test environment :-). EV and SQL are not supported on the same server in production...

On your new server, I assume you have run the Deployment Scanner. If you did, did you have any issues reported? Did you check SQL permissions? It might be the wizard is competing with SQL for resources and it takes ages before it can complete. Did you leave it running overnight?

I'm not sure you can reboot the server, and restart, but if it is a test environment, that would be my next try. Make sure after restart that all necessary services (especially SQL) are indeed started.

Regards. Gertjan

Hello Gertjan,

While this is a test environment, the documention says only that "typically" the SQL Server resides on a different server -- not that running both EV and SQL on the same server isn't supported.

Regardless, I did several reboots. And I let it run for over an hour -- the server literally wasn't doing anything else. Looking at task manager and performance monitor, CPU was almost completely idle, no disk activity, no network activity.

I did run the deployment scanner and it gave me a warning about SQL Permissions, but not an error. I double-checked my permissions and they seem to be correct. If permissions were the issue, wouldn't the migration wizard record or display an error at some point?

I will say that something with SQL was what I thought could be the issue, but I was stymied by the fact that there were no errors to go on.

Thanks for your assistance,

Laura.

GertjanA

Hello Laura,

I'm not sure it is in a document somewhere, but in a production environment you should definitely not run SQL and EV on the same server. I have no idea on what to look for next. I'm even not sure a logfile is created during runtime of the wizard. Perhaps logging can be enabled, or perhaps even dtrace has an option to log from the wizard, I don't know.

To be sure, you are using the 12.3 migration wizard right?

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100038733.html

You might want to check in with support, to see if they can assist somehow.

Regards. Gertjan

Just popped in to let everyone know what the issue was -- because I was also testing moving to a new SQL Server, I had moved the database files from the source machine. To do this, I needed to stop the SQL services.

I used Sysinternals Process Monitor to find out that when the wizard was totally stalled, it was looking to communicate with the old SQL Server via a named pipe. By simply starting the SQL services on the old SQL server, the wizard proceeded forward.

Simple thing, but it might be a gotcha that someone else runs across.

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Hi Laura,

it is possible to install sql on the same server as EV. Although you should not do it.

There was probably something else that was missing...