Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Migration Wizard to move domain

SolarP
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi All

I am pretty sure I know what the answer is going to be but just interested to see if anyone has tried it.

I have a customer on EV 10 and want to to go to EV 12.

Original plan was to upgrade EV 10 to EV 11 and use the EV 12 server migration wizard to move to new Windows 2012 R2 servers. Now they say that they would also like to have the new servers in another domain of the same forest.

So the question is can the server migration wizard migrate to new servers in another domain?

Or do you have to perform the migration and then use the standard Veritas domain move document to move move to the new domain.

Thanks

SP

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Hi SolarP,

I would not advice to move it this way, you will have to go through several steps within a domain move.

There also is a Veritas document for this one.

I would first upgrade to 11.0.1 then 12.X on the same machine and after this follow the domain migration document (sorry I could not find it right now)

What about the SQL database will it move too?

View solution in original post

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

The move to other domain document is HERE

I advise to do one ot the other first, i.e. first upgrade, then move, or move, then upgrade.

I have done the move 8 times in the last 7 months, no issues.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Hi SolarP,

I would not advice to move it this way, you will have to go through several steps within a domain move.

There also is a Veritas document for this one.

I would first upgrade to 11.0.1 then 12.X on the same machine and after this follow the domain migration document (sorry I could not find it right now)

What about the SQL database will it move too?

GertjanA

Hello,

The move to other domain document is HERE

I advise to do one ot the other first, i.e. first upgrade, then move, or move, then upgrade.

I have done the move 8 times in the last 7 months, no issues.

Regards. Gertjan

SolarP
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks for the reply

They are on Windows 2008 R2 so I will have to upgrade to EV 11 and then perform the server migration wizard move to new hardware in the same domain for EV 12. Then when we perform the move to a new domain they will be on a fully supoorted version.

Yes SQL will also have to move, currently on SQL 2005. I am getting them to build a new SQL 2012 server which we will move the database to, but I guess that will need to move to the new domain also. Unless we can build the new SQL server in the new domain. When EV 12 has been upgraded they can then move the databases to a more modern version of SQL.

Regards

Sp

SolarP
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks for the reply Gertjan

Yes I found the link but the link to the document does not work for moving domains.

Fortunately I had a copy on my laptop already. I assume that the process is the same for EV 12 as its a bit of an old document now.

Regards

Sp

GertjanA

Hello, yes, the process is the same for any version. I used it ot move EV11, no issues

Regards. Gertjan

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Hi,

consider to move/update the SQL before you move the Enterprise Vault server.

SQL 2005 is not support for EV11 or EV12.

Please check the current compatibility chart to see what dependencies are needed for SQL 2012 x64.

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/128058600-128769308-1

SolarP
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks

Yes already in the plan to sort SQL first before anythig else is going to happen

SP

Hi Gertjan,

The link to migrate EV server to new domain is broken. May I kindly request you attach the PDF document to this forum please. I need to migrate our EV to another domain hence the request. Thank you.

Sam

GertjanA

Hi Sam,

Use this link: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100038101.html

Or, on the KB site, look for "Move an Enterprise Vault Server to a New Active Directory Domain"

Or, use google to find above.

I did have an issue with clicking the link in above entry. Copying and pasting the link in a new tab does work.

Regards. Gertjan

Hi Gertjan,

Clicking on the actual link to download the PDF produces the error below despite copying/pasting into new tab.

An error occurred while processing your request.

Reference #50.2eb7d117.1561609853.5fd46864

Any chance u have that PDF handy which you can attach to this forum please ?

Thank you

Sam

HI Gertjan,

I found the document from google. For others wanting to migrate EV from one domain to another, here is the PDF attached. Thank you.

Sam