cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Migration Wizard to move from 32bit to 64bit

DMP
Level 3

Will the  Server Migration Wizard work to move EV 9.0.3 on Windows 2003 32bit to EV 9.0.3 with Windows 2008 R2.

I see a lot of comments on using it to move from 9.0 to 10.0 but none for what I'm looking for.

Also this maybe too much of a complex request but I will take a chance anyway... is there anyone that done this type of migration and have the basic steps/tasks list available that would describe from the moment we installed windows 2008 r2 right up to bringing the server right into production. I probebly can write one by taking some.

dmp

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

And the steps would typically be

1. Install the server
2. Get IIS, MSMQ, NET Framework, Outlook 2007 etc installed
3. Run Deployment Scanner and make sure all the pre-req work is done
4. Install the version of Enterprise Vault you wish to go to but do NOT configure it
5. Put the old EV Server in backup mode
6. Backup your old environment, including the Databases
7. Move across the Index and Vault Stores (this may be a copy and paste or mount and dismount)
8. If any of the paths to vault store partitions and indexes have changed, then you will need to update the Directory database to point the new locations
9. When the data is copied, and EV is installed, and the deployment scanner is green, run the Migraiton Wizard on the old server (NOTE: The old server will have a bunch of steps you have to put in, like stopping user deletions, stopping expiry, etc, which takes time)
10. Once the wizard has completed, all the services and tasks will be disabled
11. Copy the package it creates across to the new server
12. Re-run the migration wizard on the new server, it will see the package exists and then copy it all to the new environment
13. Decomission the old server, probably best to keep it shut down for a while, and make sure there arent any lingering things that still rely on the old server, and you dont notice until the server goes away....

And thats pretty much it, incredibly high level but still adequate framework i think

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JesusWept3
Level 6

From the documentation here:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO42445

Note: The Enterprise Vault Server Settings Migration wizard supports migrations
from Enterprise Vault 9.0.1 or later source servers, to unconfigured Enterprise
Vault 9.0.1 or later target servers. The version of Enterprise Vault installed on
the target server must be equal to or later than the version installed on the source
server."

JesusWept3
Level 6

And the steps would typically be

1. Install the server
2. Get IIS, MSMQ, NET Framework, Outlook 2007 etc installed
3. Run Deployment Scanner and make sure all the pre-req work is done
4. Install the version of Enterprise Vault you wish to go to but do NOT configure it
5. Put the old EV Server in backup mode
6. Backup your old environment, including the Databases
7. Move across the Index and Vault Stores (this may be a copy and paste or mount and dismount)
8. If any of the paths to vault store partitions and indexes have changed, then you will need to update the Directory database to point the new locations
9. When the data is copied, and EV is installed, and the deployment scanner is green, run the Migraiton Wizard on the old server (NOTE: The old server will have a bunch of steps you have to put in, like stopping user deletions, stopping expiry, etc, which takes time)
10. Once the wizard has completed, all the services and tasks will be disabled
11. Copy the package it creates across to the new server
12. Re-run the migration wizard on the new server, it will see the package exists and then copy it all to the new environment
13. Decomission the old server, probably best to keep it shut down for a while, and make sure there arent any lingering things that still rely on the old server, and you dont notice until the server goes away....

And thats pretty much it, incredibly high level but still adequate framework i think

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Those steps of JW3's are pretty much exactly what I followed the other day, and the migration was so smooth and simple.  Of course you need to know about EV, and you need to know about the environment you're doing it on.

Working for cloudficient.com

DMP
Level 3

Thanks this help in confirming my migration plan.

JesusWept3
Level 6

oh there is one important step that i completely missed!
Update your DNS Server Aliases to point at the new server!

So if you have like

EVServer1 -> oldEVServer.myDomain.com
you need to update itto EVServer1 -> newEVServer.myDomain.com

Otherwise you will just get a lot of RPC Server Unavailable errors