cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup additional servers for exchange archiving

shafty
Level 4

Hi guys,

Hope you can help me on this. I have setup a EV site with a single EV server running 9.0.2 and have successfully archived a few mailboxes on 2 Exchange servers running 2010 in a DAG. The DVS files are getting saved off to a CIFS share on a DataDomain appliance. What I would like to do is add another EV server to the same site for the archiving run when we roll it out to all the business users.

At the moment the EV server is running the indexing, storage, task and shopping services. Do I just need to add another EV server to the same site with all the services or some?

I will be saving the files off the the same CIFS share as EV server 1.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So the process to add an EV server is pretty straightforward.  When you run the configuration you will point it to the directory of the first EV server.  It will install the basic services and you will just need to add the task when you are ready to add the other Exchange Servers.

One note, this server will need it's own Index and Vault Store locations, you don't want to use Storage and Indexing of the other EV server.  You will want this new EV server to have its own Storage and Index service with its own storage location.  If it doesn't then the first EV server will be the bottleneck.

How many Exchange servers do you have?  How many users?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TonySterling

So the process to add an EV server is pretty straightforward.  When you run the configuration you will point it to the directory of the first EV server.  It will install the basic services and you will just need to add the task when you are ready to add the other Exchange Servers.

One note, this server will need it's own Index and Vault Store locations, you don't want to use Storage and Indexing of the other EV server.  You will want this new EV server to have its own Storage and Index service with its own storage location.  If it doesn't then the first EV server will be the bottleneck.

How many Exchange servers do you have?  How many users?

shafty
Level 4

Hi Tony,

Thanks for getting back to me. We have 2 mailbox servers running in a DAG with 1000 mailboxes. I have added the second EV server to the same site and it too has all the same services as EV1. Can i use the same system mailboxes on the DAG member servers that EV1 is using or use seperate system mailboxes?

Thanks

Paul.

TonySterling

It sounds as though you will only need one EV server.  You can only have one Archive task per Exchange server, so you would need to remove the archive task from the existing EV server and recreate it on the new one.  Then, you would need to move the archive from the other Vault Store to a new Vault Store so it would be served by the Storage and Index services on the new EV server.

For just a 1000 mailboxes it seems like it is a bit of overkill to be honest. 

shafty
Level 4

Hi Tony,

Ya I guess as much that I couldnt have multiple mailbox archiving tasks per exchange server. Can I ask one final question. We have one other exchange server in a remote location that we have connectivity through a WAN link. I will be pushing out EV to that site by installing a local EV server along with a SQL backend for hosting the finger print dbs, vault store dbs. Would I be able to use the existing EV site or create a new site therefore creating a new directory database?

Thanks

Paul.

TonySterling

Obviously, there are a few things to consider but unless it is a really good link I think I would lean towards having it on its own site.  Without getting in depth with your specifics that would be my initial suggestion.