cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SharePoint archiving error

RG009
Level 4

While running the archive task in report mode i see the below lines in the report.

*** Error *** There is an error in XML document (1, 2617).. ' ', hexadecimal value 0x0B, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 2617. Error listing files in the folder

Any idea what is this error about ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jim_leggett
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If this is the issue you are referring to then there is a work around documented in the following tech note.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH158000

If the workaround does not work for some sites I would recommend dtracing the sharepoint archive task and comparing to the one in the tech note as you may or may not have the same issue. To me that is the surest way to be certain. You may be experiencing an additional issue.

On your remaining sites that are still affected are you sure they are not being archived or is it just not creating seamless shortcuts?

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

hard to say based on that. 

What version of EV are you running? 

Are there any errors in the EV app log?

Can you attach the whole report?

jim_leggett
Level 6

Did you ever get this straightened out?

As Tony mentioned kind of sounds like a permissions issue during archiving, but event or a dtrace would be a lot more revealing.

jim

RG009
Level 4

Hi Jim

Not yet, I still see this error message. We also have several other issues with MOSS archiving.

The worst issue we have now is EV stop archiving of MOSS sites randomly and to make it work Symantec support suggested to modify the SharePoint policy every time.In any case , thsi is not working and i have a hard time with this.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

RG009, i have the exact same problem, i believe its fixed in 9 sp3

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

jim_leggett
Level 6

Here is the list of fixes for EV 9.0 SP3

This one may apply to you.

Archiving error when SharePoint had KnowledgeLake Imaging installed [Ref 90310160, E2206326]

When SharePoint has KnowledgeLake Imaging installed, archiving failed with the following error:

Error listing folders.

This has been fixed.

Changes to SharePoint support

Running Backup Exec on a target SharePoint Server caused the Enterprise Vault Admin Service to stop unexpectedly [Ref 9038051, E2073751]

If Backup Exec was installed on the same computer as the Enterprise Vault Microsoft SharePoint Components, then the Enterprise Vault Admin Service on the computer stopped unexpectedly. This occurred when Backup Exec attempted to refresh backup locations.

This has been fixed. The Admin Service no longer stops if it receives a refresh backup locations command. However, we recommend that you do not install Backup Exec on the same computer as the Enterprise Vault Microsoft SharePoint Components.

Archiving error when SharePoint had KnowledgeLake Imaging installed [Ref 90310160, E2206326]

When SharePoint has KnowledgeLake Imaging installed, archiving failed with the following error:

Error listing folders.

This has been fixed.

Enterprise Vault ignored dates in archiving policy rules [Ref 90310328, E2350375]

Enterprise Vault ignored the metadata date criteria in policy rules for the SharePoint library while archiving. This resulted in Enterprise Vault archiving fewer items than expected.

This has been fixed.

Metadata Rules ignored empty fields [Ref 9038271, E2294637]

The Content Type/Metadata tab in the Metadata Rules page retained old values when you cleared the fields.

This has been fixed.

Enterprise Vault StorageOnlineOpns process could become unresponsive [Ref 9038303, E2323539]

The Enterprise Vault StorageOnlineOpns process could become unresponsive during SharePoint Indexing with a 64-bit version of SharePoint.

This has been fixed.

EVSPshortcutManager could be unable to recall shortcuts [Ref 9038305, E2247264]

In some circumstances, the EVSPshortcutManager utility could fail to recall a shortcut in a library when the utility was run at the site or server level.

This has been fixed.

Enterprise Vault could fail to create shortcuts or to read old versions of files [Ref 9038780, E2210026, E2242792]

Enterprise Vault could fail to create shortcuts to items that had been previously recalled and then re-archived, or fail to read old versions of a file.

The shortcut creation failed with the following error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

The SharePoint archiving task failed with the following error:

Error listing versions of the file.

These have been fixed.

Archived SharePoint files with shortcuts do not open with Office Web Apps [Ref 9038896, E2280786]

It was not possible to use Office Web Apps to open Enterprise Vault shortcuts.

This has been fixed.

SharePoint archiving task can now authenticate using a client certificate [Ref 9038962, E2351313]

For more information, see the section 'About SharePoint archiving with Enterprise Vault' in the Setting up SharePoint Server Archiving guide on the Enterprise Vault media.

Shortcut deletion was suspended when the policy specified zero days [Ref 9038990, E2282582]

When the following policy settings were used, shortcut deletion was suspended until a new file was added to the library:

• Archive items older than 0 days
  • Remove shortcuts older than 0 days

This has been fixed.

When an archiving rule had a Date set to Today, some items were not archived immediately [Ref 9039277, E2218239]

When an archiving rule had a Date set to Today, some items were not archived immediately. Those items were archived successfully the next day.

This has been fixed.

Content type of archived files appeared changed [Ref 9039660, E2399148]

Archived files could appear as a different content type after Enterprise Vault created shortcuts. This problem existed for most types of Office 2007 files on SharePoint 2007.

This has been fixed.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

i actually think its the following one and not the KnowledgeLake as thats a bit too bespoke

Enterprise Vault ignored dates in archiving policy rules [Ref 90310328, E2350375]

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

RG009
Level 4

Is 9.0.3 is offically released ? I am not able to find it any info online yet.

jim_leggett
Level 6

It will be Generally Available by November 28.

RG009
Level 4

Thank you Jim for the udpate .

Unfortunately the work around suggested by Symantec support is not helping in my case. Some of the MOSS sites even after  modifying the policy, is not gettign archived at all.

jim_leggett
Level 6

If this is the issue you are referring to then there is a work around documented in the following tech note.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH158000

If the workaround does not work for some sites I would recommend dtracing the sharepoint archive task and comparing to the one in the tech note as you may or may not have the same issue. To me that is the surest way to be certain. You may be experiencing an additional issue.

On your remaining sites that are still affected are you sure they are not being archived or is it just not creating seamless shortcuts?

jim_leggett
Level 6

Did you ever get this straightened out?

RG009
Level 4

Hi Jim

I still see the errors like

Could not process the file Shared Documents/SRA/Product and Development/PSRs/Canada/CA_PSR 226_10_Camel FLFL_LTBL_84_20_Dec 15 2009.mht as a Single File Web Page document. Error creating shortcut.

*** Error *** There is an error in XML document (1, 2720).. ' ', hexadecimal value 0x0B, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 2720. Error listing files in the folder

Thanks

RG

jim_leggett
Level 6

For the first error we do have reports of not being able to create seamless shortcuts for file types *.mht.

So if you notice this issue occurring for *.mht files in the sharepoint archiving report you should gather a dtrace of the sharepointarchiving task, the sharepoint archiving report, and then call a case into support for further investigation.  Take a look at the following tech note.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH177523

So did you upgrade to EV 9.0 SP3 ?