cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing Archivied Items

Dano_Symantec_C
Level 2

Good Morning,

User education is the answer. But I need a better answer.

Our users are constantly (ok.. not daily but often enough to be annoying) dragging mail items and shortcut, to file folders and public folders.

Even if they think to test the result there is a problem. Because the only person that can open that email is the archive owner (or someone with granted permission).

To further muddy the waters. If the user/s moves (or copies) the email item before it is archived everyone can seee the meessage and can be opened by everyone with access to the destanation file folder or public folder.

We are moving to EV 10 and Outlook 10 this year.(if plateform makes a difference. We are currently running Exchange 2010 and EV 9)

Is there a setting or a better sharing solution for sharing emails that are archived?

The solution could be

1. to make dragging archived messages work as the user expects
  2. to prevent the user from being able to drag or copy shortcuts (out of thier mailbox)
  3.  enable copying archived items when shortcuts are moved or copied to another archive (public folder or shared mailbox)

Thank You,

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Your best bet is to go to the ideas page and submit the enhancement request.
I mean you said it right at the start, its a user education piece, and it is an issue thats as old as EV itself.

I don't know whether it would be possible for the Outlook client to be able to intercept those calls when moving a shortcut, i know there are some circumstances, like don't allow shortcut copy etc, but i don't know if its possible for the client to be able to do a restore of the item and then place that item in the shared mailbox or public folder etc

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Dano_Symantec_C
Level 2

Great post Dan.

Maybe also ask for

1. Any sample user communications other EV administrators might have used to show users how to do it correctly.
  2. How to find the shortcuts in file folders or Public folders before users call. Once shortcuts to archived items are found, how to deal with them.

Thanks

fan of Dan

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Your best bet is to go to the ideas page and submit the enhancement request.
I mean you said it right at the start, its a user education piece, and it is an issue thats as old as EV itself.

I don't know whether it would be possible for the Outlook client to be able to intercept those calls when moving a shortcut, i know there are some circumstances, like don't allow shortcut copy etc, but i don't know if its possible for the client to be able to do a restore of the item and then place that item in the shared mailbox or public folder etc

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Dano_Symantec_C
Level 2
Will setting the allow shortcut copy to off stop all copying of the shortcut? To file folders as well as to Public folders and other shared archive mailboxes? thanks,

Fiona
Level 4
Certified
I wrote a User Guide and added a section about this, I have attached.