cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing EV data within Vault Store Group and using EMC Atmos

Giacomo
Level 3

Is sharing Vault Store Data within a Vault Store Group supported when using EMC Atmos as the storage media? 

I am in the process of setting up my VSGs in EV 11 and have reached out to EMC with this question as well as I have heard otherwise.  Can anyone confirm or deny whether this works properly?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

so they're telling you it's not like centera? hmm... i cant confirm specific to Atmos since none of my customers use Atmos for EV but in general I would agree that if it's an option then yes it would be wise to share across your various vault stores to realize storage savings by EV's single instancing of the data.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AndrewB

when it comes to object-based storage like centera and atmos, this is no longer a fuction of EV and becomes a function of the storage device. have you had a read of this document?

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/White_Paper/h11068-app-config-atmoscas.pdf

Giacomo
Level 3

Andy,

Thanks for your response.  I have read the article provided.

I too assumed that since Atmos is a CAS device it would handle single instancing similar to Centera, but after meeting with EMC on this I am now aware that Atmos does not provide single instancing.  In order to setup single instancing it is up to EV to handle the sharing of data.

In this instance would it be wise to share across a VSG (1 VSG for Mailbox Archives and 1 VSG for Journal Archives)?  I wanted to confirm if this type of sharing will work with Atmos.

Giacomo

AndrewB

so they're telling you it's not like centera? hmm... i cant confirm specific to Atmos since none of my customers use Atmos for EV but in general I would agree that if it's an option then yes it would be wise to share across your various vault stores to realize storage savings by EV's single instancing of the data.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Sharing is going to be limited by the bounds of the Vault Store Group.  So if you have two VSG's there will not be sharing between the two.