cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ShortCut Processing Error in 9.0 SP1

Weasel
Level 5

Hello,

we are running EV 9.0 SP1 with Exchange 2007 SP3.

Recently I upgraded from 9.0.0 to 9.0.1. Nothing else changed and everything worked fine before this. But now the shortcut processing produces a lot of errors:

Eventid 6578:
Abnormal error occurred
Object: CRetentionCategoryCache
Reference: LE/RE

Eventid 6578:
Abnormal error occurred
Object: CRetentionCategoryCache
Reference: RE(1)/fe

Eventid 2270:
A queued operation exceeded the retry count and has been discarded
m_pIBackgroundArchivingAgent->ProcessMovedItemsInFolder2(ExchangeMailboxDn = "/o=ardenne-at/ou=Erste administrative Gruppe/cn=Recipients/cn=OFFICE",
ArchiveID = "1266E621CC231C34B9318C4CEFC9CB4381110000EVSite.2a-net.intern",
ArchiveFolderID = "1F6E0CE30F4A03D419D01C4BA3091E8C11110000EVSite.2a-net.intern",
FolderRetCat = "",
SourceFolderID = "ID",
FolderPathName = "�Posteingang�Ablage�01_Organisation�Strategie",
CompressedItemRequestXML = "some XML",
EVPMFolder = "FALSE")
HRESULT: 0x80004005

I testet this by a manual run of the archive task against one mailbox with shortcut processing only. Pure Archiving works ok and I disabled shortcut processing now. I can see that the A6-Queue is full with all folders the mailbox contains, even if there are definitivly never moved any shortcuts.

I opened a case but did not recieve any answer from symantec yet. Anyone seen this effect too?

Regards

50 REPLIES 50

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Yea this worked without issue in all the v8 installs I saw too

vmds
Level 5
Partner Accredited

According to him it didnt for us. No clue why.

But in fact we have thousands of items in the A6 queue until it fails if we just "let it go" by normal processing.

James_Herbert
Level 5

Hi,

Have you got a link to this work around or the instructions from the Symantec enginner?  I'm not sure I understand the process of 'disable archiving and then to enable update moved shortcuts + shortcut processing bit by bit for each archive'

vmds
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Here is what i have done:

1. Disable "normal" archiving via shedule, else it would run into the same problem everytime the shedule starts. As the queues are processed from 1 to 6, the A6 queue will always be AFTER normal archiving process so the A6 queue takes longer and longer to process.

2. Enable update moved shortcuts. 

3. Start processing some of the mailboxes via Exchange Task --> Run now --> Shortcut processing for selected mailboxes. 

Watch the A6 queue. It should build up and then go down again. 

Takes a while to process that... enable normal archiving from time to time (disable update moved shortcuts meanwhile) if you like.

Weasel
Level 5

This is not a solution. The feature to update shortcut moves in the archive worked fine from 8 to 9.0. Imagine, you have 1000 or more archives and you do what this supporter sayd - not applicable.

I turned the update moved Items - feature in mailbox policy off and let scheduled archiving run without this until symantec provides us with a propper solution.

vmds
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thats why its labeled a workaround, not a solution :)

Its doable for us, as we are just implementing archiving for every user. Had it run as a POC for 2 years now with limited user mailboxes.

Weasel
Level 5

Just spoke to Symantec support, seems to be an issue with sp1.

Until it is not solved the moved item processing should be disabled in mailbox policy.

vmds
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Is there any official document on this issue? Is it first introduced with SP1? 

James_Herbert
Level 5

Symantec have acknowledged that this is a issue and said a patch should be release by the end of the week, has only heard of it's release?

JamaliP
Level 4

Yeah we have turned off Moved Items. it was killing our exchanged servers. Hope they release a hotfix soon.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

well to be fair, as far as exchange activity goes and the stress on the exchange servers, especially transaction logs, there is NO hotfix symantec can release for that, its an intensive process, and if you move 1000 items , you will have 1000 transactions in your exchange logs, there is no getting around it

So in your case i would suggest rolling out Virtual vault if the exchange environment is that sensitive to load, as that would actually take stress off the exchange servers and still allow you to move items in a PST like environment within outlook

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

JamaliP
Level 4

No its the way EV 9.0.1 processes moved items. like the other posters everything was ok before the upgrade from 8.0.3 or proir to 9.0.1.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited

Hi,

I'd be grateful if those who think they have this issue and are dealing with support could post their case numbers here so we can look at what data you've sent it and make sure we have a full understanding of the issue.

Cheers,

Mike

JamaliP
Level 4

Case #413-651-164 - this one is pending closed, but we were about to update it, because we tested it again over the weekend and had to turn it off due to the high cpu usage on the exchange servers and logs.

Littler-Er
Level 3

I can't seem to make mine shrink with either of these methods.  I am calling support Tomorrow.  This is quite unacceptable.

vmds
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Case 413530848 here.

Noticed that even with manual processing single archives the A6 queue will shrink but i can process the archives over and over again and it always "finds" new shortcuts. 

vmds
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Just wanted to add this:

I checked a customer environment where we recently installed the SP1 for EV9. They dont have any Problems with the A6 queue with the moved item feature turned on.

Difference between this customer and our environment is, that we have 2 Ex2010 MBX (4 Databases) and 2 CAS, the customer has 1 EX 2010 that functions as MBX (1 Database) and CAS.

Weasel
Level 5

Got new message from Symantec Support telling me they are researching the issue.

I sent them a dtrace of archiving against a single mailbox with the Update Moved Items - Feature on.

I can see in the trace log, that every folder is marked as moved, even folders like Sent Items or Tasks. These are not moved and do not contain moved shortcuts! But they where put in the A6 and this happens every time when shortcut processing runs. This is new since SP1 and seems to be the issue.

vmds: Was it a fresh install or an upgrade in your customers environment?

vmds
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Customer had EV 8.0 before. It got updated to EV9.0 and migrated to a 2008 Server. SP1 got installed a week ago. For us we are still running EV9.1 on a 2003 Server (Upgrading since EV 2007)

What is your exchange setup?

Weasel
Level 5

EV is on 2008 SP2.

We have Exchange 2007, two servers with Windows 2003. Both have MBX, CAS and HT roles. One holds all 4 Mailbox databases and the second is configured as a standby machine. We use standby continiouos replication.

I think it does not matter how exchange is configured. It seems that the archiving task picks every folder in the mailboxes regardless if they are moved or contain moved shortcuts. Perhaps there is something wrong in the database.