cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shortcuts not retrieving attachments.

anon1m0us1
Level 6

I pushed Vault to a user and the following issues appeared.

1) An email that was not processed as a shorcut (looks like a regualr email) that had an attachement, the attachment could not be opened. All we saw was a link to the attachment, why? This was not a shortcut. To open the attachement, I went into Virtual Vault and opened the email there, which had the attchement.

2) Another email was processed as a shortcut. However, when double clicking on the shortcut, the attachments did not appear. I restored from vault, and all attachements were there, and then I restored into Vault and again, the shortcut did not have the attachments.

Any ideas?

This is on Outlook 2007, EV 10.0.1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Was the user newly enabled?  Maybe just try the EV Client Reset on them.

This utility is included on the user's workstation when the client extensions are installed (\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVClient).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
For the first issue its a custom forms problem When the EV client starts, depending on the desktop policy, by default it should deploy the forms locally The forms are the Icons you see when an item is archived or pending archive etc, but importantly the forms contain vbscript that when the item is double clicked makes a call to the EV client to retrieve that item If the form is not installed or not accessible it means that shortcuts show as regular email and when you open it, it makes no attempt to try and get the item from the EV server itself The second issue sounds like it maybe a shared mailbox or that it's being run on terminal services Shared mailboxes in outlook have vbscript disabled, there is a setting in outlook you could change and there is also a desktop policy setting you can hangers force this to enabled upon starting outlook For terminal services or Citrix, when outlook is installed and it detects its a shared server, it does not install outlvbs.dll, meaning the vbscript in the forms will not function Another possibility, although unlikely is that you have your policy set to show the contents of the shortcut and not the original email By design, shortcuts are stripped when archived through EV
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

anon1m0us1
Level 6

Both of these issues are with the same user who is using a local copy of Outlook. No one else is affected who are using the same policy.

I do strip everything out of the shortcuts which I expect won't show any attachments. But when the user double clicks on the shortcut it should retrieve the content, but it is not.

The odd thing, it does appear in Virtual Vault correctly.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Was the user newly enabled?  Maybe just try the EV Client Reset on them.

This utility is included on the user's workstation when the client extensions are installed (\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVClient).

anon1m0us1
Level 6

Yes, the user was newly enabled. The reset did not work.

anon1m0us1
Level 6

I went to the user's machine and did the reset myself. It worked.