cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silent install of EV client extensions via GPO

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner
Does anyone have a script that they have written to put the EV client msi via GPO and effectivey use the silent install switches? We are deploying in a MSE2003 with EV9 and have no other method of deploying the clients. Users do not have admin rights to their workstations and there is no other software delivery mechanism. The only other alternative I see is to manually install the client remotely using an administrative account. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndresMunoz
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Alternatively... and I though of it just now (our clients normally use things like SCCM or similar for software distribution). You could create an assignment to the computers using the GPO Software Installation Extensions. See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc780425(WS.10).aspx in that scenario you could use the following command line MSIEXEC.EXE /i yourmsihere.msi /qn /lv %Windir%\temp\yourlog.txt

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AndresMunoz
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Alternatively... and I though of it just now (our clients normally use things like SCCM or similar for software distribution). You could create an assignment to the computers using the GPO Software Installation Extensions. See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc780425(WS.10).aspx in that scenario you could use the following command line MSIEXEC.EXE /i yourmsihere.msi /qn /lv %Windir%\temp\yourlog.txt

AndresMunoz
Level 5
Partner Accredited
You could call the install from a vbscript with encrypted credentials, so it runs the installation with those credentials. Alternatively you can encrypt or compile the vbscript to protect the credentials. From the vbscript you could run the following command line MSIEXEC.EXE /i yourmsihere.msi /qb! /lv %Windir%\temp\yourlog.txt Note that the /qb! switch provides a very basic interface without a cancel option, so the user sees that something is happening. if you want a complete silent install, then you need the /qn switch. I have attached a quick sample script (remember to rename to .vbs), that should point you in the right direction. Use at your own risk. You might also want to include code to check the software is already installed so it does not install over and over. Hope this helps

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner
Thanks Andres, we'll try this out and see if it works for us.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Why don't you add the MSI to a Computer Policy ?

AndresMunoz
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Thats exactly what creating an assignment to the computers using the GPO Software Installation Extensions is