cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Size allocation for Index Locations

The_Dark_Knight
Level 4

Hello Team,

Working in an environment with EV 11.0.1 CHF5 with 6 EV Servers and 7 Exchange Servers. Each Server having at least 1 Exchange Archiving task.

We are falling short of disk space for the Indexing Locations and I cannot keep asking for an increment of 1TB for the drives hosting the Index Locations from the Storage Team.

Need to give them a figure which I will not have to worry about for the next 3 years.

With every environment being different from the other I thought some stats will give an idea in suggesting a realistic figure

The total data that gets archived in the environment is about 450GB on a daily basis (from 25000 Mailboxes with Quota based archiving). The Indexing method used is Full Indexing. On an average we have 75GB per server.

Currently we have 3TB allocated on each server which is fast being consumed. The implementation is only a year old.

Keeping the above stats in mind, what would be an ideal demand from the Storage Team for space allocation for the Index Location?

Any help will make my life a lot easier.

2 REPLIES 2

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi mate,

For email archiving, EV indexes take up to 13% of the front-end data size being archived, therefore to archive 450 GB of emails, you will need roughly 58.5 GB for indexes. Just multiply that by the number of days you need to do the projection for. Eg. for 3 years, you would have 58.5 x 365 x 3.

--Virgil

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Hi,

I am maybe a little bit picky, here is how I would calculate it.

75/450=percentage of Data to Index=16,666%~17%

datagrow 10% per Year

450GB(data) x1,1³(10% growth over 3 years)x0,17 (percentage of Index rounded)=101,82GB (Index Size after 3 years)