cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some emails are not being archived

SHI-CRO
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I'm working with a customer who has copied emails from a PST into his inbox.  Those emails are not being archived, and we can't figure out why not.

The policy is set to archive items at 0 days, with no large items setting configured and no "do not archive items younger than" setting configured.

The emails are showing to be a message class type of IPM.Note, and that message class type is selected for archiving.  Looking at the EV tab on the properties page of the mailbox inbox folder show that the folder is using the default mailbox policy settings.

I can see from the dtrace that the items are being skipped, but I figure out exactly why:

563    11:32:56.040     [3888]    (ArchiveTask)    <2880>    EV:M    :CArchivingAgent::IsEligibleForArchive() |Entering routine  |
564    11:32:56.040     [3888]    (ArchiveTask)    <2880>    EV:L    {MigratedDominoItems::IsMigratedDominoShortcut} (Entry)
565    11:32:56.040     [3888]    (ArchiveTask)    <2880>    EV:L    {PropsItem::HasShortcutProps:#149} Shortcut properties are not present (incorrect MAPI type; expecting PT_STRING8).
566    11:32:56.040     [3888]    (ArchiveTask)    <2880>    EV:L    {MigratedDominoItems::IsMigratedDominoShortcut:#198} Missing shortcut properties that are indicative of a migrated Domino shortcut.
567    11:32:56.040     [3888]    (ArchiveTask)    <2880>    EV:L    {MigratedDominoItems::IsMigratedDominoShortcut} (Exit) Status: [Success]
568    11:32:56.040     [3888]    (ArchiveTask)    <2880>    EV:M    {CArchivingAgent::isEligibleForArchive:#4001} Skipping item because item not changed since last EV update. UserMailbox=[/o=First Organization/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=bscherer] MsgTitle= [Reviews]

I don't know why EV thinks this is a Domino shortcut.  As far as I know, there is no Domino in this customer's environment.  For what it's worth, we have configured the IgnoreEVDates registry key with a value of 3.

Anyone have any ideas on how we can get these emails archived?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paul_Honey
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Hi,

If they are definitely IPM.Note, then again looking at the code, the only other alternative that I can see to trigger this skip statement is that these items are presenting themselves as DRAFT items. Is it possible that they are either genuine draft items, or something in the copying from PST process has resulted in them appearing to be draft items?

Our criteria to identify a draft item is to look at the PR_MESSAGE_FLAGS MAPI property and see if the MSGFLAG_UNSENT flag is present, so if you know how to use OutlookSpy, that is how I would ask you verify what 'state' this data is in and if these items are representing themselves as Draft items.

Can you verify that or perhaps this needs a support case open so that one of our support reps can assist?

Regards

Paul

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

what do you see if you try to archive the items manually? (maybe set the client logging to high and restart outlook first.)

plan b: as a workaround can you import the PST into their archive for them using the VAC?

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You say he copied the mail from the PST, where did the PST come from?

Also, what version of EV?

SHI-CRO
Level 6

Archiving manually works fine.  They don't want to do PST imports because they don't use shortcuts.

The emails were exported from an Exchange 2007 mailbox to a PST then copied into another mailbox on a different Exchange 2010 system.

This is EV 10.0 sp4.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

"They don't want to do PST imports because they don't use shortcuts" you can import a PST without creating shortcuts. would that solve your issue?

so manual archiving works? perhaps the messages dont fall into the policy based on the combination of settings you have configured.

SHI-CRO
Level 6

I know that PSTs can be migrated without using shortcuts.  They don't use shortcuts and they don't want to have to train their users on archive explorer or virtual vault.  They want the emails to be in the users inbox in their mailbox.

The dtrace shows the emails not being processed.  I don't know why they aren't though.  They have never been in a Domino system and are not Domino shortcuts.  There must be some other reason that error message is being given, but I don't know what it might be.

SHI-CRO
Level 6

No one has any ideas?  Is there any way to get tech support to help with a trial?  This customer is trying a few products, but I doubt will go with EV if I can't figure out this problem.

Paul_Honey
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Hi SHI-CRO

I don't think these items are failing to archive for any reason related to them being a Domino shortcut. The check that the DTrace above highlights is a valid one for all items that we are determining archive eligibility for in Exchange, as we do not want to re-archive a migrated Domino shortcut that is waiting to be post-processed by the EVDominoExchangeMigration utility. However, this check in the DTrace spells out that the item is NOT a migrated Domino shortcut:

{MigratedDominoItems::IsMigratedDominoShortcut:#198} Missing shortcut properties that are indicative of a migrated Domino shortcut.

However, the DTrace does tell us why the item has been determined as ineligible for archiving:

{CArchivingAgent::isEligibleForArchive:#4001} Skipping item because item not changed since last EV update. UserMailbox=[/o=First Organization/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=bscherer] MsgTitle= [Reviews]

I have done a quick code review and I believe this particular DTrace statement can only occur when checking eligibility on Calendar items, meeting requests, contacts and drafts. So, can you confirm what is the message class of this particular item that is failing to be archived (It's subject is 'Reviews') - is it really an email (i.e. not a Calendar item, meeting request, contact or draft) that has been copied from the PST to the user's Inbox?

Regards

Paul

SHI-CRO
Level 6

Thanks for the reply Paul.  The email is a message class type IPM.note, according to the Outlook view.  There are hundreds of emails there that are not being archived; I know that not all of them are calendar invites or other types.

I did send this customer a PST that I use in my lab that he copied into the mailbox, and those archived fine.  I really don't know why the ones he put in there are not archiving.

Paul_Honey
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Hi,

If they are definitely IPM.Note, then again looking at the code, the only other alternative that I can see to trigger this skip statement is that these items are presenting themselves as DRAFT items. Is it possible that they are either genuine draft items, or something in the copying from PST process has resulted in them appearing to be draft items?

Our criteria to identify a draft item is to look at the PR_MESSAGE_FLAGS MAPI property and see if the MSGFLAG_UNSENT flag is present, so if you know how to use OutlookSpy, that is how I would ask you verify what 'state' this data is in and if these items are representing themselves as Draft items.

Can you verify that or perhaps this needs a support case open so that one of our support reps can assist?

Regards

Paul