cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split Mailbox Archiving to Two Sites/Servers

charles-k
Level 5

Hi all,

I have 2 Exchange mailbox servers, let's call them Exchange1 and Exchange2, in the same Exchange Org, and both of them are being archived by EV1 in Site1.  I want deploy another EV server and split things up so that I'll have EV1 archiving Exchange1 in Site1, and EV2 archiving Exchanage2 in Site2.  I'm running EV 10.0.2 and Exchange 2003.

I have some questions about this --

1) Can you have multiple EV sites and EV servers in the same Active Directory domain?

2) The Exchange2 archives that are currently on EV1 will need to be moved to EV2, and vice versa, so I won't have two EV servers trying to process the same Exchange server (which I know is not supported).  What would be the best way to move the archives from Site1/EV1 to Site2/EV2?  The Move Archives wizard?

3) To remove Exchange2 from Site1, is there anything more to do than clicking Delete on that server from the Targets node in the Admin Console?

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance you can provide!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

1/ Yes

2/ Yes or you can pick a third party tool such as Archive Shuttle from QUADROtech:

http://www.quadrotech-it.com/products/archive-shuttle/

3/ Not 100% sure on that part.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

1/ Yes

2/ Yes or you can pick a third party tool such as Archive Shuttle from QUADROtech:

http://www.quadrotech-it.com/products/archive-shuttle/

3/ Not 100% sure on that part.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Just as a matter of interest, why do you want to do this? Slow wan links?
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Good question jw3, I would be interested to know too...

charles-k
Level 5

Hi Rob and JW3,

Thanks for your replies.

Here's the reason why I want to do this.  Ever since we put in EV here 4 years ago, we haven't deleted anything from it.  But we now have a retention policy that we have to enforce, so I'm planning out the best way to purge all those emails that exceed the policy.  I'm thinking that once I start running storage expiry from our vault store (1TB), it's going to hit the EV server pretty hard because it'll need to process and purge a huge amount of emails.  So I want to split the load between two EV servers.  The current EV server (W2K8 R2 64-bit) has 24GB RAM, but it's constantly pegged on memory, even when the server's idle.  I'm going to add more memory, but if it's still pegged, I want to add a second EV server.  Any thoughts?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You could do as you have outlined.

Or you could introduce expiry at a lighter level...

- run expiry at the weekend, and let it go all weekend

- If you have been archiving for 7 years, and want to expire everything older than 4 years, first of all set your retention categories to expire at 6 years, and then run expiry.  Let that run for as long as needed, or in multiple batches, then change the retention categories to expire at 5 years, and then run expiry... etc

- run expiry in report mode first of all. Just see exactly how much needs to be expired.

In all situations make sure expiry isn't overlapping with your archiving windows.

charles-k
Level 5

Rob,

Thanks for your responses.

I have a follow-up question.  We have 2,000 mailboxes on Exchange, we're archiving 1,000 of them, the other 1,000 are not archiving.  To delete the old emails from the non-archiving mailboxes, I was going to use EV -- add the non-archiving accounts to a provisioning group, set retention category to archive anything older than the retention period, set the mailbox policy to not leave stubs, execute archive runs, then run storage expiry.  Does this make sense, or is there a better way to achieve this?  I guess I'm just not sure if EV is the best way to delete a bunch of old emails from mailboxes that are not archiving.  Would something like Outlook's Auto-Archive feature be a better idea, since my goal is not really to archive emails, but to get rid of them?  Any thoughts/insights, from anyone?  Thanks again.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

What version of Exchange is involved? In the 'old days' you could use Exchange Mailbox Manager to delete old mails.  Think it got absorbed in to recipient policies in Exchange 2007+