cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps to upgrade EV 9.0.2 to EV 10.0

Cdee
Level 6

Hello Folks,

I have EV 9.0.2 Running on Windows 2008 R2 Sp1 64 bit Hardware.

I need to plan of upgrading EV 9.0.2 to EV 10.0.

Can i just simply do an inplace upgrade on the same hardware where i have EV 9.0.2 or is there any other steps i have follow in order to perform this upgradation seamlessly.

All inputs are highly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

As stated, you need

W2008R2 X64, NOT W2008 SP1. IT has to be R2.

As for files to backup:

Changed language files (like the enabled for archiving message), licenses (not necessary, but just in case), custom registry settings.

That is it.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Are you running on Windows 2008 R2 x64?

Have you looked at the media, which contains upgrade instructions ...

Working for cloudficient.com

GertjanA

W2008R2 X64 required.

For the rest, install the deployment scanner of EV10, run it. You'll see if it is possible or not. If OS and prereqs are ok, you can do an inplace upgrade. If you use Discovery Accelerator, there might be a need to first goto 9sp4 first.

Regards. Gertjan

Cdee
Level 6

Yes it is a x64 Bit Hardware and WIN2K8 SP1 Ent edition.

Also we use both DA and CA in our enviroment.

John_Santana
Level 6

Is there any files or directory that we need to backup first ?

GertjanA

As stated, you need

W2008R2 X64, NOT W2008 SP1. IT has to be R2.

As for files to backup:

Changed language files (like the enabled for archiving message), licenses (not necessary, but just in case), custom registry settings.

That is it.

Regards. Gertjan

ManishN
Level 4
Employee Accredited

If you are on x64 platform then you can go for it. Before moving ahead go through the following articles

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH38537  -- Enterprise Vault Compatibility List

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC4441  -- Symantec Enterprise Vault 10.0 Original Release - Release Notes and Upgrade Instructions

As from my experience you can also ref. following tips

1. Any custom changes like webpage forms, IIS Security or EVPM Scripts etc. best to make a copy of it.
2. Backup the Registry before starting upgrade.
3. Backup your Production Environment i.e. it includes SQL, EV Vault Stores and partitions
4. Make Sure MSMQ is empty
5. Watchfile and Journalarchive table should be empty, specifically Watchfile table.
6. Stop all EV Services
7. Run EV Binaries
8. Reboot the Server 

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

ManishN, your comment about "x64 platform then you can go for it".. is not correct.

As Gertjan says it has to be W2k8R2 x64.

@Cdee, please have a look at the upgrade guides on the media.

Working for cloudficient.com

ManishN
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Guys i am sorry if it has created any confusion with my line "x64 platform then you can go for it"  what i meant is if you are on 64bit platform then you need to ref. the Compatibility Guide along with upgrade notes and some tips.

As i see Cdee has mentioned "I have EV 9.0.2 Running on Windows 2008 R2 Sp1 64 bit Hardware." which is think is ok.

Ksimir
Level 4
Partner Accredited

You're running Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. That means you can in-place upgrade EV 9 SP2 to EV 10.

Just run Deployment Scanner to valid EV 10 prerequisites.

John_Santana
Level 6

Manish,

Thank you for the suggestion, but how can I check the following steps:

"5. Watchfile and Journalarchive table should be empty, specifically Watchfile table." ?

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You do *not* have to wait for the JournalArchive table to be empty, as its very very very rare that you will have an empty journalarchive table, since it will keep transaction history for 32 days by default

As for the watchfile table, that holds all the items its going to scan for backups
certainly not critical that it be empty at all, i would not let it stop you from performing an upgrade

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Cdee
Level 6

Thanks Everyone for the inputs on this.

Yes i have Windows 2008 R2, and i understand that i can comfortably upgrade it to EV 10.0