cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Expiry Configuration

jacen10
Level 5

Hello all

I have setup my storage expiry to Archive Date but i did not schedule the Process Vault Store schedule. I have a retention category that will hold archive emails for 18 months. Will it still delete the emails when the retention is reached? or do i have to schedule Process Vault Store in order to do that? Please let me know. Thank you again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you want to have Storage Expiry remove items that have expired, yes, you need to schedule it or do manual run nows.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

TonySterling

If the Storage Expiry process is set to run on a schedule you have to run it manually if you want it to delete anything.

jacen10
Level 5

So do i need to schedule it? or selecting Archive Date good enough? The Admin Guide didn't really explain anything about scheduling the Process Vault Store within Storage Expiry Tab. Thank you for the reply.

TonySterling

If you want to have Storage Expiry remove items that have expired, yes, you need to schedule it or do manual run nows.

jacen10
Level 5

Thank you. I will go ahead and schedule that.

jacen10
Level 5

One more thing if i may, the Admin Guide did not explain the difference between Modified Date and Archive Date in Storage Expiry. May i know the difference? Thank you.

TonySterling

Use the example of a 1 year Retention.  If retention is based on Archived Date then 1 year after it is archived the item is eligible to be deleted.  If it is based on Modified Date the item will be eligible after it is 1 year old regardless of when it was archived.

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO57875

The start of the retention period is one of the following:

• Modified date. For mail messages, this is the time since the message was received. For files and documents, it is the time since the document was last modified.

• Archived date. This is the date that the item was archived. This setting is useful if you import old items from other mail systems and want to prevent the items from being expired according to their original received date.

jacen10
Level 5

Thank you for your reply. If I change Archive Date to Modified Date, the items that were archived before, will they be deleted according to the current config(Modified Date)?  or will they stay Archive Date config?

Thank you again.

TonySterling

If you change to Modified Date expiry will be based on Modified date, not Archived Date.

jacen10
Level 5

Thank you. I will try it out.

jacen10
Level 5

Sorry but i have another question. I have 2 retention categories. One is to hold emails that will never be deleted the other will be deleted after 18 months. Will Storage Exipry delete the emails that i want to hold on forever? Please let me know. Thank you.

TonySterling

So if that other retention is set to keep forever, then no, the items will never be expired.

Also, do you have Prevent deletion of archived items in this category checked on the properties of the Retention Category?

Prevent deletion of archived items in this category.

Select this to prevent the deletion of items that have been archived using this retention category. This protection applies during the retention period, and also after the retention period has expired. In other words, while this option remains selected, neither storage expiry nor users can delete items that have been stored using this retention category.

How are you storing items with this retention?  Is it a folder in Outlook?  You might want to look at Discovery Accelerator to manage your Legal Holds.