cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Expiry - modified vs. archive

NaturesRevenge
Level 5

We're a company of 9,000 Exchange mailboxes and we're piloting EV v902. 300 mailboxes have been EV enabled with about 1.1 million items and 50GB+ of content in the Mailbox Archive Vault.

I ran an expiry report on my mailbox and noticed that all content in my Vault will expire based on modified date, not archive date. Long story short - during our design meetings and with ALL communication to our employees, it's been stated that the expiry will be based on archive date.

So I can change this parameter in the site settings, but it is not a retroactive change; it will only affect the expiry value for content moved to the Vault from this point forward. What am I to do with the existing data, which will all be deleted the instant I enable the expiry task?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I wouldn't say retroactive, i'd say it just "is"

I mean, so when you archive an item, it logs the archived date, and the sent date for each item, and it stamps it with a retention category and such.

if you switch the expiry to Archived date, it just means when the expiry process kicks off it will just look at the archived date, if you then go to Modified date, it will then look at the idDateTime columns, individual items are not marked with what type of Expiry that should be performed, its all based on the retention category

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JesusWept3
Level 6

In Enterprise Vault 2007 and below the Modified/Archived date change affected all users and all items
In Enterprise Vault 8 and above it is now per the retention category, so you could have Business go by Modified Date and Personal go by Archived Date.

This setting affects ALL items regardless if it used to be by modified date, if you switch it to archived date, all items will expire by archived date etc

it is simply just the difference between looking at the IdDateTime column (modified date expiry) or ArchivedDate column (archived date expiry) in the vault stores saveset table

NaturesRevenge
Level 5

Thanks for the reply.

So for Enterprise Vault v9, changing the Storage Expiry "Base Expiry On" value is or is not retroactive?

JesusWept3
Level 6

I wouldn't say retroactive, i'd say it just "is"

I mean, so when you archive an item, it logs the archived date, and the sent date for each item, and it stamps it with a retention category and such.

if you switch the expiry to Archived date, it just means when the expiry process kicks off it will just look at the archived date, if you then go to Modified date, it will then look at the idDateTime columns, individual items are not marked with what type of Expiry that should be performed, its all based on the retention category

NaturesRevenge
Level 5

Thanks for the sigh of relief!