Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Expiry on EV 10

iternity
Level 4
Partner

Hello,

I am trying to run Storage Expiry on EV 10. I have nine items with the retention set to forever (shows up as year 2999 in Windows) in one of my Vault Stores.

Initially I ran Storage Expiry with the following two flags NOT selected:

"Users can delete items from their archives" (EV Site Properties->archive Settings)

"Delete expired items from this archive automatically" (Archive Properties->Advanced)

After realizing that even items that are not under retention anymore would not be deleted, I selected both flags. For files that are still under retention, storage expiry yields the following output in Event Viewer for me:

Number of Vaults processed: 1

Number of Vaults enabled for expiry: 1

Total Number of expired items deleted: 0

Total number of items that could not be deleted: 0

The last line is the one I do not understand. Since I have nine items, shouldn't that be a nine rather than a zero? It should have tried to delete those but since items were under retention it could not delete nine items.

Am I missing something else that I need to check or do for the storage expiry report to yield a correct result?

In case you are wondering why I am getting worked up about it - it is for the certification :)

Also, why are some Vault Stores omitted? I have 36 VS, but only 24 showed up in the EventViewer after I ran a Storage Expiry (which came back very quickly and it reported zero errors).

Thanks,

bjorn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

just wanted to correct something earlier
"Storage expiry has nothing to do with the two options you listed as they conrol whether users can delerte items from their archives"

"Delete expired items from this archive automatically" (Archive Properties->Advanced)

This option exclusively affects storage expiry and storage expiry alone.

That being said, items that could not be deleted, im pretty sure thats items that ARE eligible for deletion but something went wrong when attempting to delete it or maybe it was on a legal hold.

Your items on a Forever category just simply aren't eligible for deletion by expiry and never will be

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Storage expiry has nothing to do with the two options you listed as they conrol whether users can delerte items from their archives.

Storage expiry is used to remove items that have passed their retention category. If the RC is never then the items won't be deleted in which case you have to manually delete them if you wanted too.

Run SE in report mode and that will tell you what qualifies for expiration.

iternity
Level 4
Partner

Hi Percy Vere,

thanks for your reply. Maybe they don't have to do with it, but I was told to check those (and they did make a difference in the output of the event viewer).

Could you tell me where the report is created when I run Strg Exp in Report Mode? I can't locate it under EV's Reports folder.

To clarify, I am not looking to delete items or find deletable items. Storage Expiry should find the nine items with retention "forever" and report them as "Total number of items that could not be deleted: 9"

I am getting a zero instead of the nine and I am trying to figure out why that is?

Thanks,

bjorn

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

When you run Storage Expiry in report mode it will write an Event to the EV Event Log.  Look for Event ID 7086 for the report run and Event 7085 when ran in normal mode.

I disagree with your logic that you should see "Total number of items that could not be deleted: 9" as those items are not eligible for deletion.

iternity
Level 4
Partner

Thanks Tony,

So report and normal mode both just use the event log as report tool, with the normal mode additionally performing the relevant delete options.

I will check with the Symantec Certification team about your second point. Maybe I misunderstood the requirements.

When would  "Total number of items that could not be deleted" be non-zero? Are those items where retention has expired, but the ReadOnly Flag is still set?

Thanks,

bjorn

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

just wanted to correct something earlier
"Storage expiry has nothing to do with the two options you listed as they conrol whether users can delerte items from their archives"

This option exclusively affects storage expiry and storage expiry alone.

That being said, items that could not be deleted, im pretty sure thats items that ARE eligible for deletion but something went wrong when attempting to delete it or maybe it was on a legal hold.

Your items on a Forever category just simply aren't eligible for deletion by expiry and never will be

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146