cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strip calendar attachments not working as expected - no URL

David_standish
Level 5
We are interested in archiving IPM.Appointment items to recoup the space in attachments of calendar items. 

I understand after reading http://support.veritas.com/docs/303493 that Enterprise Vault will archive the appointment but will not replace the item with a shortcut.  And that there is an option that can be set in the Advanced tab of the Exchange Mailbox Policy that to strip the attachments from appointments and replace them with a URL to the item in the Vault.

After setting up Vault to archive IPM.Appointment items and setting the Strip calandar attachments to On, I archive a calendar item that has an attachment and the item is replaced with text such as:

<<
     filename.txt  (Size MB) 

(Size MB)
>>

but there is no URL to the file.  I can see in the Vault that the item was archived but have no easy way of getting to it.

This behavior is the same regardless of if the item is archived using Store in Vault or naturally when the Mailbox Archiving task runs.

Anyone else experience this?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Yes, it is listed in the Updates.htm   Below is the excerpt:

Changes affecting users and not requiring new Outlook Add-ins

The changes described in this section are obtained as a result of upgrading Enterprise Vault server software and so do not require the updated Enterprise Vault 2007 SP1 Outlook Add-ins.

Improved archiving of calendar items that have attachments [Ref 751170, E1104268]

The advanced policy settings for Exchange and Domino mailboxes include the option to strip any attachments from calendar items after Enterprise Vault has archived them. Previously, if you chose to strip the attachments, Enterprise Vault would remove them and then append a plain text list of the attachment names to the calendar item. Now, the items in this list are hyperlinks to the archived copies of the attachments.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TonySterling
Hey David,

what version are you running?  You need to be at least EV 2007 SP 1.

Regards,

David_standish
Level 5
Tony -

Meant to include that - we are running EV 2007 (7.5).  We have not deployed SP1. 

Are you saying that the ability to Strip calendar attachments was added to the Advanced policy settings in EV 2007 but does not replace with a URL until EV 2007 SP1?

Thanks,

- David

TonySterling
Yes, it is listed in the Updates.htm   Below is the excerpt:

Changes affecting users and not requiring new Outlook Add-ins

The changes described in this section are obtained as a result of upgrading Enterprise Vault server software and so do not require the updated Enterprise Vault 2007 SP1 Outlook Add-ins.

Improved archiving of calendar items that have attachments [Ref 751170, E1104268]

The advanced policy settings for Exchange and Domino mailboxes include the option to strip any attachments from calendar items after Enterprise Vault has archived them. Previously, if you chose to strip the attachments, Enterprise Vault would remove them and then append a plain text list of the attachment names to the calendar item. Now, the items in this list are hyperlinks to the archived copies of the attachments.

Asterisk
Level 3
Partner
Hi Tony,

I believe that it is a matter of operation miconfiguring:

I set the strip calendar attachments where the Advanced options, but it does not work.
So I guess that I should select the IPM.Appointment items to be archived, otherwise it will not refer to the IPM.Appointment at all.
Is it meaning that the calendar items will be archive as well?
I don't wont to archive them since it will consume more capacity at my vaults.
Additionally, if the calendar items will be archive, what is the point of stripping the attachments if it will be archive too?

Thanks,

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited
If you select IPM.Appointment then EV will archive the calendar items along with their attachments. This is for archival and discovery purposes. It leaves the calendar item unchanged and if you choose to do so, it can strip the attachment to be replaced with a link. The point is to save the storage on the exchange side.