cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for hosting mail services for another company

BigAnvil
Level 5
Our Exchange server currently hosts email for two other companies and we are about to beging hosting email for another sister company.  I am wondering how to best accomplish this with regards to EV and maintaining separation.

We currently have a different Exchange 2007 storage group for each of the companies, but each storage group is also currently pointing to the same journal mailbox that exists in the main storage group.  My first thought was to create a new journal mailbox in the storage group for the company we are about to host email for and have their journal messages be sent to that separate mailbox.

I'm not sure if this is the best thing to do.  Do I then add this new journal mailbox as a target in EV for that Exchange server?  Is this even the best way of accomplishing the task?

The goal is really to keep their email separate in the sense that we will be providing them with access to Compliance & Discovery Accelerator.  We don't want them to have any access to messages that part of our other companies.  There are other questions I have that I can't quite formulate into words until I understand the best path to take.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Same Site,

Different Vault Store Groups if running v8 but you need to make sure you on SP3 as there where some DA enhancements I had put in for another customer that was doing just this...

With SP3 you have much more control over roles.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Same Site,

Different Vault Store Groups if running v8 but you need to make sure you on SP3 as there where some DA enhancements I had put in for another customer that was doing just this...

With SP3 you have much more control over roles.

BigAnvil
Level 5
We are running EV 8.0 SP3 as well as CA & DA 8.0 SP3.  We've currently got (3) vault stores in one vault store group (default vault store group).  Do you really just mean another vault store in the same group?

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I would do different VSG's. like Wayne said.  You want as much seperation as possible between customers.

BigAnvil
Level 5
I created a new VSG and a new exchange journal for this company, set billing to the user I created just for them... I wish the indexes could be separate also.  That would make it so much easier if we ever wanted to separate completely and give them their own ev server.  But I guess since the exchange journal keep a list of the indexes, we could eventually move them through the GUI option there.

Sounds like I still just need to create a journal task for the separate journal mailbox I created and set up a policy like we do for our own company.  Any more tips from the experts?

Thanks!

BigAnvil
Level 5
Alright, so I went ahead and created a new journaling task to use for the other company then added it as a target to a new exchange journal mailbox (one I had already setup in the storage group for the other company).  I'll just need to create a couple test mailboxes in the new Exchange stprage group, send a few test emails back and forth and turn on the journaling task for that mailbox and make sure it does what it's supposed to do.

Next up, creating a separate CA customer so they can do their own compliance reviews...