cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sunseting of on-prem Enterprise Vault

paul_gartner
Level 3

We are in the process of shutting down our on premise exchange server and moving to office365. Over the next 6 months we will be moving the users to Office365, the decision to bring the archive has not be finalized. We may, or may not bring the archive data into office365 archives.

As part of that process we need to sunset the Enterprise Vault v9 that we have.

What we would like to do is the following

• Prevent new data from being automatically archive (our policy is 90 days)
  • Prevent users for manually moving data to the archives
  • Set the archive to READ ONLY
  • All user to still see their archive data
  • remain available after we complete the migration

What would be the best way to achieve this?

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Paul,

Here you have some options to achieve this:

• Prevent new data from being automatically archive (our policy is 90 days) --> modify the mailbox archiving policy to archive all emails older than say 99 years
  • Prevent users for manually moving data to the archives --> on the desktop policy, disable the manual archiving buttons and also disable Virtual Vault, in case it is enabled
  • Set the archive to READ ONLY --> no need to do anything from the EV side really
  • All user to still see their archive data --> once the users are moved to O365, they will be able to access their archived data via EV search/Archive Explorer within the IE browser
  • remain available after we complete the migration --> I would recommend upgrading EV to a supported version so that you can get access to support in case it is required
--Virgil

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

VirgilDobos

Hi Paul,

Here you have some options to achieve this:

• Prevent new data from being automatically archive (our policy is 90 days) --> modify the mailbox archiving policy to archive all emails older than say 99 years
  • Prevent users for manually moving data to the archives --> on the desktop policy, disable the manual archiving buttons and also disable Virtual Vault, in case it is enabled
  • Set the archive to READ ONLY --> no need to do anything from the EV side really
  • All user to still see their archive data --> once the users are moved to O365, they will be able to access their archived data via EV search/Archive Explorer within the IE browser
  • remain available after we complete the migration --> I would recommend upgrading EV to a supported version so that you can get access to support in case it is required
--Virgil

Thanks Virgil, this is what i was looking for.

is this the option to disable the manual archiving buttons?

Capture.PNG

as for upgrading, we have fallen behind on the support contacts, and the cost are prohibitive to get up to date and obtain new hardware (these servers are old physical machines, no VMs)

We are lucky, we are not in an industry that requires any compliance. so leaving the data on those servers until the hardware dies is an option

paul

VirgilDobos
Hi Paul,

Got the picture.

Yes, that is the way to disable the manual archiving for the end-users. Just run a mailbox sync once you update the policy for immediate effect.
--Virgil

GertjanA

Hi, my opinion on 2 questions:

Prevent new data from being automatically archive (our policy is 90 days) --> modify the mailbox archiving policy to archive all emails older than say 99 years

I would set the tasks in report mode, and restart them, and/or set the Vault Stores in backup mode. Or, you can disable the schedule used by the tasks. (either the site schedule or the task schedule or both.

You might also want to remove the shortcuts from the mailboxes (if you have those) before migrating to O365. You can do that via the 'shortcut deletion' or using an Exchange Powershell query. I have that if you want it.

Regards. Gertjan