cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec EV 8.0 SP4 always causing the transaction log to fill up quickly

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Hi Everyone,

I'm still confused and don't understand of why my Exchange Server 2007 SP1 transaction log always fills up quickly when the Symantec EV 8.0 SP4 do the weekend archiving job ?

in my previous diagnostic steps I have done the following actions:

1. Pin point the shared mailbox (SharedMailbox1) that cause the problem in Storage Group 1 and then move the Shared mailbox onto Storage Group 2, after several weekend yes the problem arise again in the Storage Group 2.

2. Export the old SharedMailbox1 content, disable the SharedMailbox1 (mark as delete), create new one with the same name (including aliases and its permissions) and then importing the exported content into the new one.

Somehow the transaction log still growth uncontrollably ?

Any suggestion and help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Go to the properties of your Mailbox Archiving Policy and then click the Moved Items tab, you will see two checkboxes for updating the shortcut locations (and then another to update the retention categories), if this is enabled, it can become quite a burden on the exchange servers,

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Symanticus
Level 6
Dushan, Can you actually export the items in the EV server and then delete the archive mailbox in the EV server archive and try to start archiving again from the mailbox ?

JesusWept3
Level 6

What it sounds like to me is you have Moved Items enabled, this is the biggest cause of why the transaction logs on exchange grows uncontrollably

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

thanks Jesus,

Where should I disable that feature ?

JesusWept3
Level 6

Go to the properties of your Mailbox Archiving Policy and then click the Moved Items tab, you will see two checkboxes for updating the shortcut locations (and then another to update the retention categories), if this is enabled, it can become quite a burden on the exchange servers,

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

many thanks for the pointer Jesus, I was wondering why such feature is there ?

(FYI: I wasn't the one who setup this server before, I replace him so I'm quite new to this EV server).'

you probably right because this happens to one Storage group where the problematique Mailbox is residing and I haven't deleted the mailbox from the EV Server.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi, Just to complete this topic for future reference here is a tech note which talks about it. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH128522 Mike

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Many thanks everyone for the pointer to this problem, so If I uncheck that options, then what will happens to the archived email in the users mailbox ?

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

quick question: ok should I select it on the Default Excahnge mailbox policy or ALL of the policy that I got here in the EV Server ?

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Dushan, to answer your question about what happens if you uncheck the option, here is the full information about the feature from the EV help file:

Exchange Mailbox Policy: Moved Items
Enterprise Vault can update the location and the retention category of archived items whose shortcuts have been moved or copied to a different folder.

If the new location is configured to use a shared archive, Enterprise Vault creates a copy of the item in that archive. It leaves a copy in the original archive even if the item's shortcut was moved, rather than copied. The owner of the mailbox where the copy is made must have read permission on the archive folder where the item originated. If the item originated in a shared archive, the owner of the mailbox where the copy is made must have read permission on the shared archive.

The Moved Items settings control whether these updates are made.

You can choose to update the location only, or both the location and the retention category. Enterprise Vault only updates the retention category if the location is also updated.

Update archive location for items moved in the mailbox. If you select this option, the location of items whose shortcuts have been moved or copied to a different folder is updated. Updating is done as follows:

When a scheduled run of the Exchange mailbox archiving task occurs.

When you use Run Now with a Run mode that includes shortcut processing.

Update the Retention Category for the following items:

None. Do not update the retention category of moved and copied items.

All. Update the retention category of moved and copied items.

Include items with Retention Category selected by the user, set by a custom filter, or set by PST migration. If you select this option, the retention category of moved and copied items is updated regardless of how the items were archived. This option includes any item whose retention category was changed when it was archived manually, or by a custom filter, or using PST migration.