cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Enterprise Vault 10 Icons and functionality are not available over OWA for mailboxes located on remote mail servers

dtriviski
Level 3

Symantec Enterprise Vault 10 Icons and functionality are not available over OWA for mailboxes located on remote mail servers.

I do not have the issue with the Main Campus.

I cannot say if this has ever worked on the remote sites as no one has complained.

Environment:

Exchange Server 2010 (14.03.0174.001) on Windows 2008 R2

Enterprise Vault version 10 Windows 2008 R2)

OWA 2010 Extensions version 10.0.4.1333 (on all CAS role servers (6))

Main campus has a 3 CAS server array and 2 Mailbox server

Remote sites (3) running CAS and Mailbox roles

I have searched and see a lot of information on this topic, but have not been able to resolve this.

Any (good) help is tremendously appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew_G_
Level 5
Employee Accredited

I just found this in the documentation too...

Additional configuration steps for Exchange Server 2010 CAS proxying for use with OWA

If CAS proxying is configured in an Exchange Server 2010 environment, you need to perform additional configuration steps to allow the CAS proxy servers to use Exchange Web Services impersonation.

Configuring Exchange Web Services impersonation on CAS proxy servers

1. Create a new security group that contains only the Exchange Server 2010 CAS computers that act as proxy servers.

2. Log on to an Exchange Server 2010 computer using an account that is assigned the "Role Management" role. By default, members of the "Organization Management" role group are assigned this role.

3. Using Exchange Management Shell, run the following command line:

New-ManagementRoleAssignment -Name:role assignment name-Role:ApplicationImpersonation -SecurityGroup:security group name

role assignment name can be a name of your choice.

security group name is the name of the security group you created for the proxy Exchange 2010 CAS servers.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

Did you run the client install on the remote CAS servers?

dtriviski
Level 3

When you say 'Client Install' are you refering to the OWA 2010 Extensions? If so, then yes.

If not, could you explain?

Andrew_G_
Level 5
Employee Accredited

dtriviski
Level 3

I did run the EVORT tool, the report comes back with everything passed. I've also walked through the steps using the  OWA Configuration Wizard - How to configure OWA for Enterprise Vault for Microsoft Exchange

But the issues continue.

If my mailbox is on the 3 cas array, no problems, the icons and functionality are correct. but if my mailbox is on one of the 3 off-site servers, nothing.

I verified that the mailboxes have indeed been activated in EV and if I use the outlook client, there are no issues, the add-on works and EV tab is available.

Also, most users use IE 9, but on the tests where IE 11 was used, I added the site to the compatibility view list.

Some use Chrome and/or FireFox, the issues seem unrelated to browser type/version.

Andrew_G_
Level 5
Employee Accredited

For clarity, the EV extensions will hide themselves if the browser is not IE. That's by design as we only support IE.

Are you connecting to a local CAS or one in the remote site?

I would suggest turning the EV logging on via the web.config file on the CAS you connect to, preferably one in the remote site. You can find the file here (usually):

\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\v14\ClientAccess\Owa\

and amend this entry in the file:

<add key="EnterpriseVault_LogEnabled" value="true"/>

the log files will be written to the EV install folder on the CAS.

Andrew

dtriviski
Level 3

I have enabled logging on all CAS role servers.

When I go to the webmail website it connect to the local CAS array.

I just tried going directly to the remote site and the icons are there??

Also, I just found that if i access the webmail site externally and click the Archive explorer, it errors cant connect to server. Pointing to the EV server.

Andrew_G_
Level 5
Employee Accredited

I just found this in the documentation too...

Additional configuration steps for Exchange Server 2010 CAS proxying for use with OWA

If CAS proxying is configured in an Exchange Server 2010 environment, you need to perform additional configuration steps to allow the CAS proxy servers to use Exchange Web Services impersonation.

Configuring Exchange Web Services impersonation on CAS proxy servers

1. Create a new security group that contains only the Exchange Server 2010 CAS computers that act as proxy servers.

2. Log on to an Exchange Server 2010 computer using an account that is assigned the "Role Management" role. By default, members of the "Organization Management" role group are assigned this role.

3. Using Exchange Management Shell, run the following command line:

New-ManagementRoleAssignment -Name:role assignment name-Role:ApplicationImpersonation -SecurityGroup:security group name

role assignment name can be a name of your choice.

security group name is the name of the security group you created for the proxy Exchange 2010 CAS servers.

Andrew_G_
Level 5
Employee Accredited

[Forgot to add this bit yesterday, sorry]

For configuring different external URLs, see this:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH63250

Andrew

Andrew_G_
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Ok, first thing I would do is to double check that all the CAS have the exact same version of the EV extensions installed.

It sounds like you are using CAS proxying to a CAS in a different site, and the mailbox server is not on the CAS. If you find the log file for the non-working session on the remote CAS, you will probably see authentication errors trying to load hidden settings.

In that case, I think this applies: [Edit: see next comment about the documentation and try that first]

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH57914

Andrew

dtriviski
Level 3

Thanks, I am going to apply some of these and get back to you.

dtriviski
Level 3

Resolved:

Runnig the steps for "Additional configuration steps for Exchange Server 2010 CAS proxying for use with OWA" fixed the Icons and functionality.

Thanks for your help!!